My Garden

Melissa

I just thought I would share some photos of my garden so far this year.  The fern leaf peonies are just starting to bud. I have about 30 different peonies in my yard, and probably the same amount of iris and daylily. I love my flowers. 

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9291.jpeg

IMG_9387.jpeg

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9392.jpeg

IMG_9393.jpeg

IMG_9395.jpeg

IMG_9396.jpeg

IMG_9397.jpeg

IMG_9394.jpeg

• Like 3

I live in zone 4 so perennial vegetables, fruits and herbs are challenging but here is what I have:  sorrel, lovage, tarragon, chives, garlic chives, Egyptian walking onion, horseradish, asparagus, garlic, strawberries and not pictured is sunchokes. 

IMG_9306.jpeg

IMG_9305.jpeg

IMG_9304.jpeg

IMG_9303.jpeg

IMG_9302.jpeg

IMG_9301.jpeg

IMG_9300.jpeg

IMG_9297.jpeg

IMG_9296.jpeg

IMG_9391.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

@Melissa It looks like you have a great garden with a really nice variety of plants. Was all or some of it established when you came upon it or is it all your doing?

I moved into my current house close to ten years ago.  When we moved in, I ripped out every ugly shrub and perennial and started from scratch.  Now I have close to 30 different variety of peonies, daylilies and iris.  I also have the very coveted lady slipper and this year it just might bloom (it takes 2-3 years to bloom).  Flowers to me are just as addicting as marbles.  lol   

I am also very passionate and proud of my perennial vegetable/herb garden.  I planted a bunch of jerusalem artichokes a/k/a sunchokes last year, tried them for the first time this spring, and they are super tasty (similar to a potato).

This is just the beginning of blooms for me.  I'll keep adding to this post as more flowers bloom and veggies/fruits ripen in my yard.  It's a beautiful show all year long for me.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melissa said:

I moved into my current house close to ten years ago.  When we moved in, I ripped out every ugly shrub and perennial and started from scratch.  Now I have close to 30 different variety of peonies, daylilies and iris.  I also have the very coveted lady slipper and this year it just might bloom (it takes 2-3 years to bloom).  Flowers to me are just as addicting as marbles.  lol   

I am also very passionate and proud of my perennial vegetable/herb garden.  I planted a bunch of jerusalem artichokes a/k/a sunchokes last year, tried them for the first time this spring, and they are super tasty (similar to a potato).

This is just the beginning of blooms for me.  I'll keep adding to this post as more flowers bloom and veggies/fruits ripen in my yard.  It's a beautiful show all year long for me.  :)

It really does look like you have some great plantings. We tried to start some things but the deer around here are plentiful and ravenous - gave up after a few years and a bunch of money trying.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

It really does look like you have some great plantings. We tried to start some things but the deer around here are plentiful and ravenous - gave up after a few years and a bunch of money trying.

The deer and rabbits pretty much leave everything of mine alone EXCEPT for the garden lilies.  I have to fence those off.  

• Like 1

Just now, Melissa said:

LOL  Most of my asparagus doesn't even reach the oven.  I eat it fresh out of the garden.  

I love fresh asparagus! When I was young I used to collect it in the wild for my Mom who canned it. A full paper grocery sack was a typical harvest.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

I love fresh asparagus! When I was young I used to collect it in the wild for my Mom who canned it. A full paper grocery sack was a typical harvest.

That's what I was doing before I planted my own bed of it.  The roadside ditches in the valley I live in are full of asparagus in the spring.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, schmoozer said:

The rain zone, just east of the Olympics on Hood Canal.

Washington has some crazy growing zones.  I got this information from google.  Six growing zones in one state?!  Wow!  

Washington growing zones are wide-ranging and can be anywhere from 4a to 9a, although much of the state falls into the 6a (on the eastern half of the state) to 9a (on the western half) range.

3 hours ago, Melissa said:

Washington has some crazy growing zones.  I got this information from google.  Six growing zones in one state?!  Wow!  

Washington growing zones are wide-ranging and can be anywhere from 4a to 9a, although much of the state falls into the 6a (on the eastern half of the state) to 9a (on the western half) range.

We are 8b, but the description is not true. We get about 4 months of warm weather, and 8 months of cool cloudy rain.

21 minutes ago, schmoozer said:

We are 8b, but the description is not true. We get about 4 months of warm weather, and 8 months of cool cloudy rain.

But it's google, so it must be true!   🤪 JK  

Zone 9 sounds good to me.  I am so limited here as far as what I can plant with our frigid winters.  

On 5/10/2023 at 7:05 AM, Melissa said:

I just thought I would share some photos of my garden so far this year.  The fern leaf peonies are just starting to bud. I have about 30 different peonies in my yard, and probably the same amount of iris and daylily. I love my flowers. 

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9291.jpeg

IMG_9387.jpeg

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9392.jpeg

IMG_9393.jpeg

IMG_9395.jpeg

IMG_9396.jpeg

IMG_9397.jpeg

IMG_9394.jpeg

Your passion for gardening is evident through your stunning pics. What an awesome thing to live in such a beautiful environment. Where do you find the time to indulge in all your hobbies? Because it seems like you put your whole heart into the things you enjoy. Just wonderful!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kimbernugs said:

Your passion for gardening is evident through your stunning pics. What an awesome thing to live in such a beautiful environment. Where do you find the time to indulge in all your hobbies? Because it seems like you put your whole heart into the things you enjoy. Just wonderful!!!!

With my new marble hobby it’s becoming a challenge to keep up with certain things. My plan was to make marbles my winter hobby but I just can’t give it up!  Lol

Most evenings and weekends are spent weeding, watering, mowing and tending to chicken stuff. I do like to keep busy. :)

• Like 2