Akro Cork screw question

treetiger

Howdy folks,

I have a question about Akro cork screws. Is Akro the only company known to make those classic cork screws- like snakes, Pop eyes etc., or did other companies also contribute their own variety of C.S.'s? When I see a C.S. in a bin, or collection in someone's attic, am I safe to call it an Akro, or are there other contenders to that title? Just a beginner here, please be patient. 

Thanks and best wishes

corkscrew red popeye.webp

more stndard akro agate crk screws.webp

Hello.  Welcome.   Yes, only Akro made corkscrews.   

It is possible that other marbles could be confused with Akro corks.   For example, a Japanese transitional might resemble a corkscrew.  

However, when we say something is a corkscrew,  we are saying it is Akro.

x2

Courtesy of the (MCSA) Marble Collectors Society of America

The most common and easily recognizable Akro Agate marble is the Corkscrew. This is a variegated-stream marble whose design is unique to Akro Agate. Two or more streams of colored glass were allowed to enter through the marble-making machine’s shearing mechanism at the same time. Because the different colors were layered as they came out of the furnace and because the colors were of different densities, they created separate strata in the glass stream as it entered the shearing mechanism. Just before the shearing mechanism in the Akro machinery there was a small cup with a hole in the bottom. The glass stream entered the cup from the top and passed through the hole in the bottom into the shearing mechanism. If the cup was spinning, then a corkscrew was created. If the cup was not spinning, then a patch was created. The number of different colored spirals in the corkscrew, or the number of different color patches was determined by the number of nozzles that had glass flowing through them when the glass stream was created.

Corkscrews are identifiable as being two or more spirals of color that rotate around the marble from one pole to the other, but do not intersect. Different color combinations and designs were marketed by Akro Agate under a variety of names: Prize Name (two opaque colors), Special (three or more opaque colors), Ace (one opaque color and translucent milky white), Spiral (transparent clear base with colored spiral), Onyx (transparent color base with opaque white spiral). In addition, other names have been applied by children and collectors over the years: Snake (a Spiral or Onyx where the opaque or colored glass is on the surface and just below it), Ribbon (a Spiral or Onyx where the opaque or colored glass goes almost to the center of the marble), “Ades” (types of Aces with fluorescent base glass), and Popeye (a specific type of Special commonly found in Popeye marble boxes).

Two-colored white-based Prize Names are the most common corkscrew type. This is followed by two-colored color-based Prize Names, Onyx, Spirals, three-color Specials, Aces, four-color Specials, and five- color Specials. Although I have heard of six color corkscrews, I have never actually seen an example where the sixth color was not actually a blend of two of the other colors. If a true six-color Special exists, then it is extremely rare. Any corkscrew over 1” is extremely rare.

41 minutes ago, Steph said:

It is possible that other marbles could be confused with Akro corks.   For example, a Japanese transitional might resemble a corkscrew.  

Thank you very much! 

39 minutes ago, Steph said:

Almost all in your group photo are clearly Akro corkscrews.    There are a couple I would like to see more views of before I was sure.

Basically the top riw, especially the top left and top right. 

Thank you very much! The pics are standard examples off of google images to show what my dilemma was. best wishes

44 minutes ago, Steph said:

Thank you very much for the information!

34 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

x2

The most common and easily recognizable Akro Agate marble is the Corkscrew. This is a variegated-stream marble whose design is unique to Akro Agate. Two or more streams of colored glass were allowed to enter through the marble-making machine’s shearing mechanism at the same time. Because the different colors were layered as they came out of the furnace and because the colors were of different densities, they created separate strata in the glass stream as it entered the shearing mechanism. Just before the shearing mechanism in the Akro machinery there was a small cup with a hole in the bottom. The glass stream entered the cup from the top and passed through the hole in the bottom into the shearing mechanism. If the cup was spinning, then a corkscrew was created. If the cup was not spinning, then a patch was created. The number of different colored spirals in the corkscrew, or the number of different color patches was determined by the number of nozzles that had glass flowing through them when the glass stream was created.

Corkscrews are identifiable as being two or more spirals of color that rotate around the marble from one pole to the other, but do not intersect. Different color combinations and designs were marketed by Akro Agate under a variety of names: Prize Name (two opaque colors), Special (three or more opaque colors), Ace (one opaque color and translucent milky white), Spiral (transparent clear base with colored spiral), Onyx (transparent color base with opaque white spiral). In addition, other names have been applied by children and collectors over the years: Snake (a Spiral or Onyx where the opaque or colored glass is on the surface and just below it), Ribbon (a Spiral or Onyx where the opaque or colored glass goes almost to the center of the marble), “Ades” (types of Aces with fluorescent base glass), and Popeye (a specific type of Special commonly found in Popeye marble boxes).

Two-colored white-based Prize Names are the most common corkscrew type. This is followed by two-colored color-based Prize Names, Onyx, Spirals, three-color Specials, Aces, four-color Specials, and five- color Specials. Although I have heard of six color corkscrews, I have never actually seen an example where the sixth color was not actually a blend of two of the other colors. If a true six-color Special exists, then it is extremely rare. Any corkscrew over 1” is extremely rare.

Thank you very much! I need to write this down! I'm keeping a marble study journal, and this information will be a great addition to my growing knowledge base. Thanks again an Best wishes!! 

2 hours ago, Chad G. said:

x2

This is all good except Akro did not ever use the term corkscrew.  Spiral is the main term Akro used.  Corkscrew is a collector ID.

• Award 1

6 hours ago, teajayo said:

This is all good except Akro did not ever use the term corkscrew.  Spiral is the main term Akro used.  Corkscrew is a collector ID.

I don't think Bob was giving the actual factory name just the more familiar collectors name or "Term" for the certain type of Akro marble.

LINK ::  https://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/akro-agate-co/

2 hours ago, treetiger said:

Thank you very much! I need to write this down! I'm keeping a marble study journal, and this information will be a great addition to my growing knowledge base. Thanks again an Best wishes!! 

LINK ::  https://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/akro-agate-co/

18 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I don't think Bob was giving the actual factory name just the more familiar collectors name or "Term" for the certain type of Akro marble.

Thank you! Because of your advice and knowledge, I discovered eight classic cork screws and one snake C.S. in my collection! I have bagged and labeled them. I even took a look at them under the scope! Tiny worlds unto themselves!

• 2 months later...

Okay so now it is December 2023 and I went to my local antique shop and the owner brings out a new bag and box of marbles for me to drool over. She has not seen this part of her collection for a while. I spot a glorious almost boulder size Akro Superman cork! I put it in my bowl and she comes over to see what I am selecting. Long story short it is priced at $120. She has graciously put it in a box (with my name on it), with about a hundred other beauties that I will buy a chunk of every month until the box is empty. She has been very kind and I want to build a good relationship with her.  My question  is--Is that an accurate price for this marble? I am very very tempted to buy it, but need calmer heads to guide mv decision making. Please advise...

Pics pulled from google to show my dilemma 

cork screw Superman  2.jpg

1_c3943876d401fe972ac2d83536168b67.jpg

download (2).jpg

1 hour ago, Steph said:

$120 for a superman seems a little high, but maybe not for the privilege of having a layaway plan and a good relationship with the seller.   Is it mint?  

Curious what others will say.  

As far as I could tell, with the brief looks before it was whisked away, it seemed pretty nice! No scratches, chips etc. Mint or near mint from what I could tell...the reason that I am really needing guidance is because she has a smart phone to identify marbles by taking a pic and asking google to search. The search also pulled up a Superman on ebay for 799$ waaaaay out of my league. She is doing her best to figure out what she has and price it fairly I guess. I am still quite a greenhorn and thought it best to get council...

10 hours ago, Steph said:

So, seriously then, for $120 I think I would expect a pristine marble. We definitely need to get some more input here though.  

@Ric  ?

Thank you Steph. I appreciate your advice and wisdom. I will ask her if I can take a few pics of it first to show you guys. I'll report back on what happens. Best wishes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetiger said:

Thank you Steph. I appreciate your advice and wisdom. I will ask her if I can take a few pics of it first to show you guys. I'll report back on what happens. Best wishes

Also-- After doing a little hunting myself online, I have found 3! yes 3 -13/16ths classic Akro Supermans on ebay for 100$. Bigger than 3/4" and Akro cork screws! I might be a fool, but I'd rather not part with my money that soon, or that easily.

16 hours ago, treetiger said:

She has not seen this part of her collection for a while.

I do not believe it and I would never believe it. 
Antique dealers do not keep their collections in-store—ever.
This type of marble were dug and collected as such. Not to say that they were not marketed but as I recall there were a fair amount of these found in the ground.
Size always matters!

16 hours ago, treetiger said:

but need calmer heads to guide mv decision making. Please advise...

I have been there and I usually win--I have passed on things that I wished I would have purchased.

This is collecting, let your heart tell the truth. The fact that you are asking is a good thing.

Like I said--size matters, condition as well.

Wet mint @ 1"--I might go for it. One little flea bite knocks it down to about $75.

Of course you will have to consdider any work that has possibly been done to it--bring a lupe and a light and study it, if she objects--walk away.

Marble--On!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

This type of marble were dug and collected as such. Not to say that they were not marketed but as I recall there were a fair amount of these found in the ground.
Size always matters!

I have been there and I usually win--I have passed on things that I wished I would have purchased.

This is collecting, let your heart tell the truth. The fact that you are asking is a good thing.

Wet mint @ 1"--I might go for it. One little flea bite knocks it down to about $75.

Of course you will have to consdider any work that has possibly been done to it--bring a lupe and a light and study it, if she objects--walk away.

Marble--On!!

Doh, I didn't tag Art for an Akro question.  Thanks for stepping in, Art.  Good advice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

Size always matters!

Marble--On!!

Very sound advice Akroorka! I am starting to be very hesitant about this possible buy. I might have to let this one stay out of my hands. If it were 30-35$ I might really consider it-- but 120$? for a 3/4" shooter? regretfully I'll have to pass. 'Tis the season and all.