Show your canes!

schmoozer

I have made two canes out of "Diamond Willow"--no marbles attached.

The first was for my mother in law--RIP. My Father in law still uses it when no one is looking:confused-smileys-327:.

The second one--well it is for me--not yet finished--lol.( I may include a marble now)

What a great trip to the out back looking for the right stick, then drying it and doing what had to be done--a great tribute to those that you love.

Cane--On!!

• Award 2

Here's my homemade cane made of a small Alder me and my best Friend Don found out Deer Hunting a few years back. I told him if he cut it down and brought it over I would whittle all the limbs off, let it season and stain and varnish it. Turned out pretty good IMO  :)  My Buddy has since passed away but this cane and a marble he found I keep in a Bear trinket box are constant reminders of what a true Friend he was, & yes he was a Bear hunter.

DSC01957.JPG

DSC01958.JPG

DSC02188.JPG

DSC02186.JPG

DSC03047.JPG

DSC03048.JPG

The shorter one was made by my Grandfather for my great Grandmother out of the base of a vine maple tree, the handle is part of the root @ the base of the tree. My Grandfather passed when he was 97 in 2011, that gives you an idea how old the short cane is, I'm not really sure myself ??

image.thumb.png.64c80c972a6f36925d5f561f0a467ec5.png

DSC01956.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Award 2

The top came my wife had made for me by a maker selling on eBay. Not my marbles thankfully, had her ask if he wanted to sell/trade some of his marbles. nope….

the smaller one is dated 1841 to a I Allen. Primative but lots of personality.IMG_0410.thumb.jpeg.d3a68aaf57e8df5740b2f2b44dea9bff.jpegIMG_0411.thumb.jpeg.57586a4224ef57ce0d2df81d7349d0c2.jpegIMG_0412.thumb.jpeg.31268eeacf54eb9364de90b9b9589c7a.jpeg

• Award 1

11 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Here's my homemade cane made of a small Alder me and my best Friend Don found out Deer Hunting a few years back. I told him if he cut it down and brought it over I would whittle all the limbs off, let it season and stain and varnish it. Turned out pretty good IMO  :)  My Buddy has since passed away but this cane and a marble he found I keep in a Bear trinket box are constant reminders of what a true Friend he was, & yes he was a Bear hunter.

DSC01957.JPG

DSC01958.JPG

DSC02188.JPG

DSC02186.JPG

DSC03047.JPG

DSC03048.JPG

The shorter one was made by my Grandfather for my great Grandmother out of the base of a vine maple tree, the handle is part of the root @ the base of the tree. My Grandfather passed when he was 97 in 2011, that gives you an idea how old the short cane is, I'm not really sure myself ??

image.thumb.png.64c80c972a6f36925d5f561f0a467ec5.png

DSC01956.JPG

Great family history, Chad.

I get a little sad when I find an old cane, especially when it is named. How it left the family is a mystery. 
Our kids have no emotions to anything we have that came down thru the family, unless it has $ attached.

my wife’s girls got a Tom of stuff when the paternal grandmother passed, they brought in a dumpster to haul stuff out of the house. I was not allowed on-site by their father to help go thru things, so God only knows what got tossed. The wife got in at the end and rescued some great art pieces they were going to toss.

just this week the wife came home with her ex-FILs violin from his childhood. The daughter just wanted to get rid of it. I did some research, going for an official appraisal soon. The violin is maybe $1,000, but the 2 bows are apparently in the 4 or 5 figures range. And yes, we will let her know🥴

• Like 2
  • Sad 1