Mib #5

treetiger

On 1/20/2024 at 6:22 PM, treetiger said:

I'm hoping to find out more about it.

I, for one, am glad to see that this one blew your mind. 
In my experience, somewhere, somehow--- I have the slight memory of a Peltier machine being purchased by Vacor. 
In today’s world these are called “Picasso” by Vacor. It is an older version and imho who knows if it even had a name when it was made.
Some “earlier” Peltiers also had this “tongue” of glass that would streak down the side of the marble in the way that yours shows. Other makers would show this tongue sometimes but in my experience the most common that exhibit it are Peltier and Vacor.
Pelt vs Vacor has been a hard thing for many collectors for many years now, yours is a Vacor and I am solid here.
My only ask would be from @Mojo—he is my go to as far as Vacor is considered and he always gives an honest answer.
These are just my observations and many more opinions are needed and welcomed.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, akroorka said:

In my experience, somewhere, somehow--- I have the slight memory of a Peltier machine being purchased by Vacor. 
In today’s world these are called “Picasso” by Vacor. It is an older version and imho who knows if it even had a name when it was made.
Some “earlier” Peltiers also had this “tongue” of glass that would streak down the side of the marble in the way that yours shows. Other makers would show this tongue sometimes but in my experience the most common that exhibit it are Peltier and Vacor.
Pelt vs Vacor has been a hard thing for many collectors for many years now, yours is a Vacor and I am solid here.
My only ask would be from @Mojo—he is my go to as far as Vacor is considered and he always gives an honest answer.
Marble—On!!

Vacor Picasso , i agree 

Perfect match colors 

They come in swirls and also patch and ribbons 

Some Vacor nowadays sometimes so close to look like a pelt , posted a green one also 20240118_170536.thumb.jpg.749c120b4cdfcd785d5896c130989a6f.jpghere to let you see what i mean

20231019_172337.jpg

Screenshot_20230225_115822_Samsung Internet.jpg

20230205_162502.jpg

• Like 1
  • Award 1

21 hours ago, akroorka said:

Marble—On!!

Wow! Cool! Because of the gradation of red to orange/yellow on one side of the marble (pic 2 & 3) I never would have guessed Vacor. But now that I look at it and compare to the other pictures offered, I can see it! Those two seams so close together threw me off. So-- I have a very early version of Vacor 'Picasso' (maybe unnamed). And Vacor inheriting a machine from Peltier is new and good information, and has my brain churning.

21 hours ago, Mojo said:

Vacor Picasso , i agree 

Perfect match colors 

They come in swirls and also patch and ribbons 

Some Vacor nowadays sometimes so close to look like a pelt , posted a green one also 20240118_170536.thumb.jpg.749c120b4cdfcd785d5896c130989a6f.jpghere to let you see what i mean

20231019_172337.jpg

Screenshot_20230225_115822_Samsung Internet.jpg

20230205_162502.jpg

Thanks for the extra help. I guess that this is my first 'Picasso'! Cool! Did Vacor ever make Picasso's and rebrand them under a different name/animal? And I have a technical question...Are marble making machines rare enough to warrant being inherited by another company rather than making new ones? From all of the videos that I have watched, they always seem quite 'analogue' in design and manufacture. For goodness sake! We are sending probes to Pluto, and observing the earliest galaxies in the history of the universe. A person would think that a better, newer, computerized machine could be made rather than sending an old one through the mail from Illinois to Mexico by mail. I understand 'waste not- want not'; but Vacor must have paid some pretty steep shipping and handling charges just for a Peltier machine from Ottawa Illinois. Please help me figure it out....

34 minutes ago, treetiger said:

Please help me figure it out....

Well consider this, 
Vitro sent a lot of equipment to the state of Washington, then sent it back. I am just guessing but the trek to Mexico may have been cheaper.

The rollers/cutter assembly are the bones of any marble machine. I doubt that they sent any furnaces. These parts are heavy and made of high grade steel, they were not cheap to make by any standard. The Vacor Factory may have purchashed these parts from the good ole USA when they first started. Steel from the USA is still the best imho. As far as the Pelt Machine going down south of the border--It may have been a dream, but I remember seeing it some place.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Well consider this, 
Vitro sent a lot of equipment to the state of Washington, then sent it back. I am just guessing but the trek to Mexico may have been cheaper.

The rollers/cutter assembly are the bones of any marble machine. I doubt that they sent any furnaces. These parts are heavy and made of high grade steel, they were not cheap to make by any standard. The Vacor Factory may have purchashed these parts from the good ole USA when they first started. Steel from the USA is still the best imho. As far as the Pelt Machine going down south of the border--It may have been a dream, but I remember seeing it some place.

Marble--On!!

That make very good sense! It sounds more logical and practical to send specific machine parts through the mail; and I forgot about U.S. steel quality. Vacor also could have just sent a couple of employees with a truck to collect the gear in person which might have cut down on costs a little. I guess milling those long spiral arm/tubes out of high quality steel would be a difficult chore for anyone in a machine shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nantucketdink said:

They are all from the Aquarius Run 

I  will be sure to label all of mine with that information. Thank you for clearing things up. This has given me a new appreciation of DAS, SMM, and JABO marbles. Best wishes.

On 2/1/2024 at 2:08 PM, treetiger said:

I  will be sure to label all of mine with that information. Thank you for clearing things up. This has given me a new appreciation of DAS, SMM, and JABO marbles. Best wishes.

Those companies have really made some killer marbles if you search out their best ones (a lot better than the marbles from the Aquarius run)

• Like 1