Coin Collectors

Fire1981

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a cool penny. Me and the son have a few steel 1943 Pennies but this one is really different. Anyone have any? I know a little history of them does anyone else? A strong magnetic will pic it up. 

IMG_9738.jpeg

IMG_9739.jpeg

• Like 2

No silver content but still I really like em  :pirate:

image.thumb.png.e69592f8b1652c814752f9f54b756eaf.png

• Like 1

In WW II every 100th Willy’s Jeep had  a steel penny welded to the dashboard when it rolled off the line. Obviously the most collectible. My Brother In Law had a WWII Willy’s without a penny on the dashboard. So my Father in Law told me about the history of the penny. He hadn’t seen the jeep. I called Wayne about the story. He already knew about a Penny Jeep. His was trashed. I told him to tell FIL there was a washer on the dashboard and you ground it off during the restore. FIL would grab the electric fence and tell me the horses must have busted a wire. Nice try. My panel shows me the fence is just fine. So game on. We go to Wayne’s shop and he already has it stripped to the bones. He’s doing a total restore. FIL is kinda pissed but won’t show it. But ! We all knew he was really really pissed. He looks at the dashboard and looks at Wayne and shook his head and said “Letting you marry my Daughter was a really stupid mistake” Wayne had taken a dime and welded it to a penny. He put it in the vice and  smashed it up and had it laying on the floorboard of the jeep. He found it ! Sorry FIL ! You’ve just been Punked. Priceless ! We finally broke the surly FIL and we finally got hammered. Next time Wayne came over he yanked the coil wire off his truck and put it in his pocket. I’ll try to make this quick. We’re trying to help Wayne get his truck started. You know ! Start with the carburetor and go from there. Wayne’s in the cab pumping the gas pedal and turning the engine over. FIL shuts it down and Wayne gets out of the cab joins us under the hood. He’s obviously frustrated. FIL turns to him and says “ You’ve flooded it “ He said I figured it out. Wayne asks what was wrong. FIL pulls the coil wire out of his pocket and hands it to him and just walks back to the shop. 🤪 So it’s amazing what a penny can lead to when it comes to family 🔥

RAR

• Haha 1

Apparently it was pretty popular in the 50s during science class to do an electroplating experiment. What was cool was students could keep their penny and a lot of them made them into displays. If you notice on the back of this one, it has a sticky substance like it was put in a fixture of some sort. What’s really rare about this is not the penny but the substance. You’re probably looking at 70 year-old chewing gum. LOL. I don’t know what would make it stick to a magnet. 

19 hours ago, Chad G. said:

No silver content but I still really like em  :pirate:

One of the very best coins ever made--nuff said.

The gold one is killer---I always wanted one---too much marble money though👀.

Do you collect them Chad?

Marble--On!!

Just now, akroorka said:

One of the very best coins ever made--nuff said.

The gold one is killer---I awlays wanted one---too much marble money though👀.

Do you collect them Chad?

Marble--On!!

Not really, I was given the Buffalo nickels, as well as the Kennedy, Just kept them as mementos. Which one were yo referring to as being "Gold" ??

This is one of five of the coins me and the son picked up the other day. Got them in an antique store for hardly nothing. My son knew they were fake, he said he wanted them to have to compare with real ones. They definitely sound different bumping them together and they are a little lighter. Like I said we had another great day I wouldn’t trade for the world. 

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

• Like 2

Money-related political tokens for WJ Bryan, 1896 to 1908.

these are satirical tokens related to the push for a bimetallic standard.

maybe 150-200 varieties out there. Gorham and Tiffany produced silver versions. Most were type metal or pewter.

I’ve been collecting them for 30 years.

IMG_0460.thumb.png.1e96615b298288e1452ce678e6315d61.pngIMG_0461.thumb.png.8aa6a2668a7b5ed8411d1dd145c04c48.pngIMG_0342.thumb.jpeg.c2ee7952b0f3564c26a360a3e80eb3a1.jpegIMG_0340.thumb.jpeg.ef61b079a96486377dd99002e1f81a00.jpeg

• Like 1