Akro Cork question

Fire1981

In my own experience a pristine mint yellow on opaque white standard Prize Name has been hardest to come by.  The theory is that yellow was the most unpopular color, especially among boys.  I think many of them saw heavy play action since the yellows were not considered a big sacrifice or loss. Kids tended to save their more favorite colors like blue and red. I have tons of mint corks in vast arrays of colors but only 2 mint yellows.

• Award 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, et cetera said:

In my own experience a pristine mint yellow on opaque white standard Prize Name has been hardest to come by.  The theory is that yellow was the most unpopular color, especially among boys.  I think many of them saw heavy play action since the yellows were not considered a big sacrifice or loss. Kids tended to save their more favorite colors like blue and red. I have tons of mint corks in vast arrays of colors but only 2 mint yellows.

Thanks for the info .

Good question🔥

I may chime in on this a little. In all my years of collecting, i heard that when Akro produced the "Corkscrews" that there was one in ten or so of the white opaque base yellow corks verses the other colors. These can be found if you look a little bit, especially at the marble shows. Not saying my comments are correct, but what I have been told and found out. We all know that there are the six basic color scheme. Anything outside of these six colors would be a little more difficult to find. For example a white opaque base (purple) cork. Base colors mean a lot also in the color range. A few corks i have found a little harder to come up with is the opalescent "moon" base corks. Popularity with the kids was very sought after by the early marble makers and colors meant a lot to the kids. You had your favorite colors and we still do today. A few of my thoughts to this subject.  Chuck G---

Chuck G - I have heard/read the same discussions on the possibility of lower production numbers for the Akro white/yellow cork.  Of course if this was actually the case it would further reinforce the proportionate scarcity of this color combination.  I never knew if this was collector speculation or if company records existed with run numbers by color.  Either way I always look for these simple yellows in minty condition and consider them keepers.

I agree that yellow and white is a hard find.

Take it a step further and some of them react to UV and some do not.

The "Army Green" or olive drab on white seems to be a scarce one as well.

These often have little green flecks of pigment often called aventurine. Common really, in the greens from all companies over the years.

Marble--On!!