Hello from Japan

Hello I'm a marble collector from Japan. Yesterday I learned from YasudaCollector that this forum got some information on the Yasuda's Santa Claus box. What he told me was new to me...a box with a date of 1929 ... and I wanted to read the original article/s by myself. One factory registry says Yasuda's marble factory in Shiba started in Showa 8 (1933), so 1929 sounds a bit earlier. I also wanted to look at closeup photos of Yasuda's pinch pontils. 

"Welcome to Marble Connection Shiroaiko"     :wave2:

Here's a recent post from YesudaCollector for you to look @. You probably recognize some of the pictures from AAM. Maybe a look into "Stephs Study Hall" or using the search bar will reveal something new to you  ??

LINK ::  https://marbleconnection.com/topic/37624-hello-from-poulsbo-wa/#comment-322211

Also, the marbles in the machine in this 1929 ad looked Japanese to me.    But it's a very small photo and no information to go on besides the ad date.   There were similar American marbles made, but not in 1929 as far as I know. 

1929_09_MarbleVender.jpg

gallery_279_410_37254.jpg

Also, for what it's worth, I have a 1907 article mentioning Japanese marbles.  But it's a very racist.  I don't even like to share it.  No company was mentioned.  The marbles would probably have been handmade. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 12:10 AM, Chad G. said:

"Welcome to Marble Connection Shiroaiko"     :wave2:

Here's a recent post from YesudaCollector for you to look @. You probably recognize some of the pictures from AAM. Maybe a look into "Stephs Study Hall" or using the search bar will reveal something new to you  ??

LINK ::  https://marbleconnection.com/topic/37624-hello-from-poulsbo-wa/#comment-322211

Thank you Chad! I had a search result a bit too many, and I was overwhelmed...I started to read from the latest post of YasudaCollector! "Stephs Study Hall" sounds fun! Does it have a section of Japanese transitionals? 

On 4/23/2024 at 5:39 AM, Steph said:

This thread refers to trademarks which date to 1929.  

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/20463-japanese-transitionals

36 minutes ago, shiroaiko said:

Thank you so much, Steph! That would be the very thread I wanted to read! I will go and read from now! 

I've been through the thread and learned the trademark information was what Brian had posted at AAM. 

Yasuda had been one of the big glass bangle makers whose main consumer was India. It says the trademark was registered for glass bangles and other glass products. We do not know for sure whether Yasuda made transitionals as early as 1929. 

4B946572-0AF8-4A01-8A24-5E88BCC8C05D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 5:41 AM, Steph said:

Also, the marbles in the machine in this 1929 ad looked Japanese to me.    But it's a very small photo and no information to go on besides the ad date.   There were similar American marbles made, but not in 1929 as far as I know. 

1929_09_MarbleVender.jpg

gallery_279_410_37254.jpg

Thank you for the information again, Steph!

I am closely looking at the enlarged picture right now. The white looking marbles could be German porcelain marbles with petals and circles. Then I see something like half & half and figure8s... 

The 1929 date sounds like a bit too early for Japanese machinemades. The first automatic gob feeding system in my country was thought to be started by Naoyuki Seike. The patent (Showa6-2564) was applied in Aug 1930. Yet Seike could have been the first marble maker who exported glass marbles to western countries. Glass marble makers before Seike exported marbles, but they were heading to neighboring countries. In 1937 magazine, Seike explained how his marble business started; his factory started in Taisho13 (1924) and his first marbles were exported to America and Australia, although they were in small number.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 5:51 AM, Steph said:

Also, for what it's worth, I have a 1907 article mentioning Japanese marbles.  But it's a very racist.  I don't even like to share it.  No company was mentioned.  The marbles would probably have been handmade. 

I'm curious. If the article embarrasses people here, maybe you can show only the marble picture? Does it mean our poorly made marbles reach to the US that early?

13 hours ago, akroorka said:

Welcome to TheMarbleConnection shiroaiko.

Show us what you have for sure.

Marble--On!!

Hello akroorka🐬! I was wondering what to be the first!  My city Yamagata has a monthly flea market at Suwa shrine. This is my latest find. Lots of Seike Stripeys including shooters. 

IMG_6913.thumb.JPG.262c9d917ae4f4221053552a5671bc64.JPG

4 hours ago, shiroaiko said:

Thank you Chad! I had a search result a bit too many, and I was overwhelmed...I started to read from the latest post of YasudaCollector! "Stephs Study Hall" sounds fun! Does it have a section of Japanese transitionals? 

Steph's link is the only forum actually called  "Japanese Transitionals" I've seen the extensive amount of knowledge you've contributed to the hobby on AAM. I was there on your very first post, thank you for all the hard work/. I truly hope you find something new here.

8 hours ago, shiroaiko said:

I'm curious. If the article embarrasses people here, maybe you can show only the marble picture? Does it mean our poorly made marbles reach to the US that early?

No marbles were shown.  It was only text in a 1907 trade journal.  The racism on that page is breathtaking and heartbreaking.   Here's the part about marbles. 

1907_04_15_p3_TheMixerAndServer_b.jpg

Here's the whole link:

Mixer and Server - Google Books

11 hours ago, shiroaiko said:

This is my latest find.

Nice find for sure.

Those green/white ones and the light blue/white one deserve a seperate post for sure.

Clean them up and give us a few images of them.

Nice stuff!

Marble--On!!

19 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Steph's link is the only forum actually called  "Japanese Transitionals" I've seen the extensive amount of knowledge you've contributed to the hobby on AAM. I was there on your very first post, thank you for all the hard work/. I truly hope you find something new here.

I'm learning something from here too. I read the Winnie's 2015 post of Santa Claus box and finally understood that my Yasuda factory research started from the information she left in this forum. It is always good to know the source of information.

I didn't have much time for Steph's Japanese Transitionals yesterday. My reading takes much time...I hope I can read it through in a few days. 

12 hours ago, Steph said:

No marbles were shown.  It was only text in a 1907 trade journal.  The racism on that page is breathtaking and heartbreaking.   Here's the part about marbles. 

1907_04_15_p3_TheMixerAndServer_b.jpg

Here's the whole link:

Mixer and Server - Google Books

I appreciate the article. How I wish if the writer had provided a description to the marbles! Glass marbles are generally beautiful...maybe compared to other cheap toys. Also imports from a country of weak currency floods to a country of strong currency is no wonder. Opposite does not happen. That is why old marbles are domestic in my country. 

1907 in Japanese time is Meiji 40, the time glass marbles are said to become popular among children nationwide. The marbles from Meiji are lampworked ones with snap-cut pontils. These are poorly made clearies, which are distant from perfect roundness. You can see grooves around a pontil. Also bright colors like red or yellow were not used for the first marbles. Makers like Tokujiro Oi and Wakamatsu Yoneda (Komeda?) are the first exporters. The first record of glass marble export that I could find is Taisho4 (1915) of Tokujiro's via a Kobe agent called su-re-man (Sleiman? Suremann?). Tokujiro's was a pioneering maker for glass bangles, mercury beads, seed beads, gold beads and artificial pearls. So-called Chinese-style transitionals are the snap pontil type, highly-likely Japanese export from Taisho - early Showa era. 

• Like 1
  • Award 1

11 hours ago, akroorka said:

Nice find for sure.

Those green/white ones and the light blue/white one deserve a seperate post for sure.

Clean them up and give us a few images of them.

Nice stuff!

Marble--On!!

Yes. I would be happy to do this. What does "Marble on!!" means?

13 minutes ago, shiroaiko said:

I appreciate the article. How I wish if the writer had provided a description to the marbles! Glass marbles are generally beautiful...maybe compared to other cheap toys. Also imports from a country of weak currency floods to a country of strong currency is no wonder. Opposite does not happen. That is why old marbles are domestic in my country. 

1907 in Japanese time is Meiji 40, the time glass marbles are said to become popular among children nationwide. The marbles from Meiji are lampworked ones with snap-cut pontils. These are poorly made clearies, which are distant from perfect roundness. You can see grooves around a pontil. Also bright colors like red or yellow were not used for the first marbles. Makers like Tokujiro Oi and Wakamatsu Yoneda (Komeda?) are the first exporters. The first record of glass marble export that I could find is Taisho4 (1915) of Tokujiro's via a Kobe agent called su-re-man (Sleiman? Suremann?). Tokujiro's was a pioneering maker for glass bangles, mercury beads, seed beads, gold beads and artificial pearls. So-called Chinese-style transitionals are the snap pontil type, highly-likely Japanese export from Taisho - early Showa era. 

Fascinating.  Thank you for your information and insights. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, akroorka said:

It just means--keep collecting and enjoying the cute little orbs that we all enjoy so much😁.

Sooo---Marble--On!!

I got the meaning! Thank you😃

• Award 1

IMG_6917.thumb.JPG.5666ba06d43969645d465d99c4c65dc3.JPGIMG_6930.thumb.JPG.c8cf32535faa6fb05bed0ba2f47d6ba5.JPG

Some might wonder why shells are included in the lot. The snails were used as ohajiki (flat marbles) in older time, especially before the glass made counterpart was invented. A glass ohajiki boom in winter of 1902 was recorded in a magazine article. One ohajiki book says they were popular among girls throughout 1920s and 1930s. Shells were often dyed in bright colors like pink and purple and sold at shops in a netted cotton bag or a labeled paper box. 

IMG_6916.thumb.JPG.b501ed1ee96dbab807526eaa2eb6202d.JPG

All the cat's eyes in the lot. Most of them are Stripeys. 4 exceptions. 

IMG_6923.thumb.JPG.e7c02f357831533b523b98fa414b64a0.JPG

Greens and a purple. The shooter measures 25.5mm, and the players range from 16.5 to 17.5mm. Pictures continue to the next post.

• Like 2

IMG_6918.thumb.JPG.c58e24b8c626c654493ec0cec2434e9b.JPG

The shooter (25.5mm) got dark green bits in the vanes. The vanes are thin and not developed. 

IMG_6922.thumb.JPG.8783bb936f0ce8b83921997f830a7eca.JPG

A darker background for a better look of the vanes. On the opposite side are fractures caused from short annealing time.

The players (16.5mm, 16.9mm, 17.0mm). The green stripeys got streaks in purple-brown shades. Similar kind of purple in these 3?

IMG_6924.thumb.JPG.6a395fc374e01bdbe09e38a8c20982e7.JPGIMG_6925.thumb.JPG.a9857639a45dc4a9d372b118271390fd.JPGIMG_6926.thumb.JPG.eda65039c5c6b63d4279ae740cddb16f.JPG

• Like 2

The rest of the green + purple group (16.5mm, 17.5mm, 17.2mm). 

IMG_6927.thumb.JPG.564007384bdb999da81d88b3be42c779.JPG

Two are regular stripeys. All has visible cut lines at the poles. The jelly vaned cat's eye has dark gray-brown tinted base.

Talking about the tint, the green shooter also had strong blue? green? tint, as you noticed. Blue/white stripeys will be up tomorrow🦋

IMG_6928.thumb.JPG.e71834a1595a78e2f835f1e2bf755cd2.JPG

• Like 3