Interesting One . . .

Ric

I am leaning Akro over Master Made for this one but I would like some other opinions. One seam looks a little tight for Akro but the other doesn't look at all Master to me. Then there's the base glass, It totally reminds me of one of those translucent Akro "non-brick bricks", like a Mulberry Brick, with red or something. 😄

RicA0199a.jpg.994a4efd12022f7d17b4c585a52b8504.jpg

• Like 4

What size is this Ric? It looks a lot like some late Champions I recently ran across. It's apparent that in the 80s, they made some patch style or at least non-swirls. Mine are around 9/16" and also have a slight translucence like yours.

20 hours ago, Ric said:

I am leaning Akro over Master Made for this one but I would like some other opinions.

I blew this one up one my PC and looked very hard at the damage.

No Akro Here, not a "Brick" or anything close to a "Mulberry".

"Mulberry Bricks" are just a version of a "Slag" that have an opaque glass as the base--white with dark mullbery colored glass vs red transparent is all--no oxblood involved. I am pretty sure that these "Mulberry Bricks" were all dug.

If you want to see one just PM me and we will work it out.

Imho this one is a Master Made Marble--- a patch---a very cool find!

I appreciate all opinions and hope to see some more.

Marble--On!!

@cheese This one is a shade over 5/8" and I think the glass is old, but it is kinda odd, for sure. Have you ever seen a good red Cloudie or any Master with transparent red?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheese said:

I don't recall who this photo belongs to, but I saved it some time ago. There's a red one in the cloudy slot.

Yes, that's a pretty good reference. I have been looking for a red Cloudie for a long time but the closest thing I can find that is similar in translucency to the other colors isn't really that similar at all, it looks far more opaque and filamentous - a bit more like a solid game marble. In fact, if this marble didn't have that red on it, I might think this was one.

Having said all that, if anyone has a nice photo of a red Master Cloudie, I'd really like to see it. Maybe they're not as elusive as I think?

@akroorka It's just that the base glass of this marble reminds me a lot of the base in these no-oxblood Akro "bricks", not that I necessarily think the OP is an Akro, even though I was leaning that way slightly.

image.jpeg.911dd40bcde65c1e61f8c5471bbcf0a2.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric said:

no-oxblood Akro "bricks",

Hey Ric,
The top image--the right hand one is probably an Akro--"CORNelian". 
They are well known for showing little white.
Blast it with some backlighting--it should be semi Opaque. The red color differentiates this one from a "Cranberry".

Cranberries are much darker—almost a dark red and dark purple mixed.
Cornelians actually were a production marble and you can search for boxes of these.
The Cranberries were not a production marble as far as I can remember--they were all dug. These were called bricks back in the day—no oxblood though.
The Cornelians were also called bricks—no oxblood in these either.
This was the way—
Marble—On!!

Here are two groups of non-swirl Champions. They were pulled from groups of ~early 80s champions on two different occasions from two different places. The orange and yellows came in both swirl and patch types or whatever this type qualifies as. Just for reference. They are 9/16" to 5/8". The red ones are translucent in varying degrees. I thought they had to be Masters at first but there were no confirmed masters in the lots and the marbles they were in context with were newer than master (closed in 73) and there were swirls with identical glass and size included. One group found in Florida, the other in WV. Not sure if that's what you have but I figured I'd post about them since I brought them up earlier. Just now got the time to find them and take some pics.

IMG_4324.JPG

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

IMG_4321.JPG

• Award 1

I could see Master for it.  But I could also see something like Marble King.  And Chuck's Champs do make one think.  

P.s., without having a lot of samples to go by, I have gotten the impression that the Red Cloudys could have a different overall look from the other colors.  A less homogeneous, less translucent look.  

23 minutes ago, cheese said:

Here are two groups of non-swirl Champions . . . 

Wow, those are pretty surprising for Champion. Thanks a lot for showing them! Although, I do think the OP is an old Master or maybe, Akro. The glass is quite different than the Champs, I think.

I am interested to know if you have ever seen a red Cloudie where the base glass looks like what you'd expect after seeing the other colors? I'm sure you get my drift, the base glass on Cloudies is pretty distinctive.

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

I am interested to know if you have ever seen a red Cloudie where the base glass looks like what you'd expect after seeing the other colors? I'm sure you get my drift, the base glass on Cloudies is pretty distinctive.

That's the thing I have noticed about Red Cloudys.  Going both by pictures and by an assortment I got early on in my collecting and got rid of before I knew what I had.  

Here's a picture (not mine).   The reds look different.

MasterBox_john20590_B.jpg.70a81a9721a427

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steph said:

That's the thing I have noticed about Red Cloudys . . .

That's another good example, Steph. I'm convinced they never got the red ones looking too much like the others. Sure, the structure/seams can be very similar but the glass is really quite different.