I Have To See This!

SNYD

Hi all.

First, let me give a little more information about myself then I'll get into the question. I am a plastics professional. I have been in plastics for 26 years. My presnt titles are Innovations Manager and Assistant Quality Manager. With these careers I do a lot of research. I subscribe to a plastics news letter and this month's headline is "100 years later, Baklite Shines". Here is the interesting part. It talks about Leo Hendrick Baekland, the inventor of Bakelite and all the things that were made of this man made plastic, which is a plastic that once heated and formed it could not be reheated and used. The most exciting thing I saw was a picture of toys made with bakelite, cars, wheels for pull toys and you got it "MARBLES". The company,General Bakelite Co. Perth Amboy, NJ and in Boonton, NJ. that made bobbin ends and marbles.

Does anyone have a Bakelite mib? Has anyone seen one? I have a new quest to reserch the Bakelite mibs. Any help would be appriciated.

Just for fun..............go to www.whirley.com, this is where I work and what we make................fun WOW.............

Bakelite Balls(marbles) would have been too light to use for shooting marbles. I do have a ring set with interchangeable bakelite(I think) balls. I have seen many drilled beads on Bakelite jewelry. I wonder if they were not also used as game pieces. Peace,Galen

trifari.JPG

I think we have one... i will try to find....

galen, are those catalin? i have never seen the ring set in a trifari box...too cool. could you take a picture of the ring from the side? is it a lot different from the ones sold thru avon?

Bakelite Balls(marbles) would have been too light to use for shooting marbles. I do have a ring set with interchangeable bakelite(I think) balls. I have seen many drilled beads on Bakelite jewelry. I wonder if they were not also used as game pieces. Peace,Galen

trifari.JPG

The ring is the most incredible thing I have seen, really. After doing research on Bakelite, if they are bakelite, which I think they very well could be from what I have read. You are blessed! Thank You for sharing it, it's wonderful................

I used to have a green bakelite marble. One of the members (maybe here) bought off me on ebay.

Galen, I'm not sure your's are bakelite. Maybe.

A good trick to do to test is to rub the plastic with your fingers are hand as hard and as fast as you can. When your hand/fingers get hot (from the friction) smell the plastic. Catlin (Bakelite) will have a chemical oder.

Another test to do is take pink silver polish and rub it on bakelite. If bakelite the pink polish will turn orange.

They don't look like bakelite - very cool though. The easy test is: a little Formula 409 on a q-tip or cloth turns yellow when rubbed on on any color bakelite. Wash off residue.

I can never do the smell test - I have allergies to "everything", so, most the time I'm just lucky to breathe normally. Can't smell the very slight scent differences in the different plastics.

I sold a baby crid toy with bakelite marble beads and spool beads.

The version of the smell test I learned was to hold it under hot running water for just a bit. Then the smell seems rather strong to me.

My version of the chemical test has been to use Simichrome Polish, one of those pinkish pastes. 409 sounds less messy.

lol.

Well, Simichrome was the only brand name I found when I was doing my search for a bakelite testers. Comes in a tube.

I've used it a lot. Mostly on buttons and dice. Last month I even used it to clean some metal! lol

Fun to watch the color change from pink to yellow when you for sure have bakelite.

One thing is ... if I have this straight ... not all bakelite responds to the chemical test. But I think the smell test is suppose to work on all of it. Can anyone second that?

post-1599-1186687984_thumb.jpg Could not tell you if this bakelite or not,but it is made from a very hard brittle type plastic.My first thought was one of those magnetic marbles,but its not magnetic.It is moulded using a two part mould,and possibly printed with a design at one time.I kept it because it came with a group of vintage marbles,but have always thought of it as a gaming piece.