If These Were Your Marbles

carole154

Hi Carole, it's kinda tough to tell by pictures... But, from what I can see, I think I'd go with (from top to bottom) 3, 4, 6 & 7....

I can see a little of the damage on the first one and it looks a bit nasty in spots... But, if it has a good viewing area, why mess with it?? The color combo in it is beautiful!!! Also, with all of it's bubbles, I'd fear that taking it down to the point of eliminating the damage, you may open bubbles that will drastically effect the areas that are OK as it is...

My general figuring would be... If it has a bruise or even a good sized chunk, that's it's history, as long as it can be pretty otherwise (That looks like it could describe the fifth one)... If it's been beat and there's just no pretty part of it and it looks like it could be pretty if polished, then go for it!!

I'm curious about #'s 2 & 8? What's wrong with them? Just a little foggy?

I'd also leave 'em be. my reasoning is simple. polishing greatly dcreases the value. and eventually they'll be worth more simply because of appreciation over time, where in the last 20 years I have seen polished handmades (which was perfectly acceptable at the time to have polished) go down down down in value because of the polishing. enjoy them for what they are. IMHO

Great minds don't always think alike.(LOL) I would polish any and all if I was keeping them for my personal viewing pleasure. Unless these marbles are larger than 1" their value is minimal IMHO. If larger than 1" I would probably leave most as is. Peace,Galen

In these parts, it's never been acceptible to polish as far as prime collecting is concerned... Some people are OK with it, but in general it's always been a No-no...

I probably should have clarified that I personally wouldn't bother to polish any of them. I'd just get rid of them... If someone else wanted to polish them, fine...

BUT, that's the mind-set of someone who's collected 40 years, who can remember buying mint handmades for $3-5.00... I don't polish, cuz I don't need to...

I've had to change my outlook towards others polishing. Marbles that I would have considered simply trash (like #4) can have a place if polished and the owner is OK with it.

I would still be opposed to polishing 1, 2, 5 & 8... That's where I'd side with Dani.

They are all nifty as is Carole. To me, it's like having Gramma's old chifferobe, it's got some dings from time and use but it's shows its quality and beauty just the way it is. I know marbles and furniture are different items, it's all in how you look through the ages from a product made then and now and how some have lasted through time.

Got your message..Thank you Carole.

:-) Felicia

I was simply trying to make the point that polishing those marbles would not be lowering the value a lot because if they are under an inch any could probably be had for under 10 dollars each at a show.. I am sure they have value to you or you wouldn't have made the post. Sorry if you took my post in some other way. Peace,Galen

we have a bowl of what we call 'distinguished shooters'. they have stories to tell. BUT that's just how I feel about polished marbles. and they look terrific in a gold fish bowl.lol but never ever put marbles in a salt water fish tank.. ewww bad berries!

ultimately, they're yours to enjoy however you feel is best! i only had one marble polished in over 20 years, and only because it was so surface damaged I couldn tll what it was!! turned out to be a black and white ribbon with latticino core. I still have it... somewhere....

I guess I'm standing right in between Dani & Galen.... I agree with Galen... If the marbles are so damaged that they need to be polished to look good at all... Then, your not doing any "historical" damage by polishing them... That damage has already been done.

So.... That leaves the choice firmly up to you!! If you like them shiney & pretty, get 'em polished... If you like the "primitive" way they are, work with them as you like... The bowl idea is cool, or a jar on a window sill is always great!! Back when I had a turtle in an aquarium, that's what I usually did with them... (Dani, why not salt water??? ... What happens?? :huh: )

There was a time when Larry Castle took marbles that had a nice side, but a big chunk out of it and ground it down to a flat surface and used them to make jewelry... (see below)

There was also a time when polishing was "taboo" because of the "fraud" factor... One could sell a repaired marble as mint to an unwary buyer.... In those days, that was the worst kind of "marble fraud" there was.... These days, that's pretty lightweight compared to the pitfalls that can happen... :blink:

But, for newer collectors who aren't that "into" handmades (as is Carole's case) I guess it equates to rescuing a pet from the pound, rather than buying a shiney, perfect pure bred breed... Having these polished and giving them a good home, gives them a new life. Yes, they will lose their banged up "historical" look... But, there is no monitary or historical "value" to that look and there are plenty of "known examples" for us to draw on... So Carole, I think you're OK with whatever you choose!!

Here's my Larry Castle necklace...

post-3-1195438992_thumb.jpg

hi sue... we use to have a huge salt water fish tank, loved having it too... we had a couple very large handmade ribbon cores that had cerainly seen better days, so we put them in the tank. they looked gorgeous! when I would clean the tank, I'd just sorta wipe them off under water, never took them out. after 8 years a well meaning person bought me a fish, it had something nasty that killed my entire tank (sniff!) talk about seeing hundred dollar bills floating... ewww.

anyway we took the marbles out not thinking much about them at the time and put them in the kitchen window for sun catchers. noticed about a week later they had shattered, but from the inside out. kinda like a car window breaks in those little weird shaped pieces? only they were still whole. it was amazing. the only thing we could contribute it to was the years in the synthetic salt.

Hey Carole, the first one doesn't seem quite the same as most of the others. It's got a lotta colors spun inside of it. What is it?

Nifty necklace Sue.

Carole, I'm with Felicia wondering what type of marble #1 is.

(And Sue, yeah, that's a fun looking necklace.)

Thanks Carole. It's as if the rainbow had gotten caught up in a marble. Nifty looking too!

I don't think any of them would be worthless because they still have 'life' in them and bring joy to those who appreciate them standing the test of time.