Cac American Agate / Crease-pontil

Guest browse4antiques

Guest browse4antiques

The first two pics are CAC American Agates. One is the typical (but nice) version that is swirled somewhat like a loose 9-and-tails. The next is a double-cutoff version (much harder to find). The next 2 pics are red/white crease-pontil transitionals. Most of the offerings of CAC AA on eBay are actually crease pontils. But you can see the differences. The AA have less defined "9" pattern, that wanders. The color of the AA is sort of a strange brownish red on a slightly pinkish white base (I hope it shows up on your monitor). Whereas the crease pontils are either orange-red or dark (carmine) red on a bright white base. The last pic shows examples of crease pontils that have very thick red - in fact the marbles are mostly red - and it shows the color variation even better. The AA's have the red striping glass wrapped around the surface, but the crease pontils have the red diving through the center (you should be able to see in the pics). And, of course the AA's are smooth at the cutoff, whereas the crease-pontils have a long thin crease with a bit of spidering. Both the CAC AA's and the crease-pontils are beautful marbles, but the CAC are a bit harder to find. I just thought that since I had figured out the differences, that I would share it with you. ... Roger

post-112-1205203122_thumb.jpg post-112-1205203131_thumb.jpg post-112-1205203148_thumb.jpgpost-112-1205203140_thumb.jpg post-112-1205203158_thumb.jpg

What a great analysis, Roger! Thanks for the hard work!

I love both kinds of marbles as you do, and no doubt the CAC's are harder to find. While the really good, tightly twisted "9" examples of both kinds can command some higher prices ($50-80+ in some cases) nice mint ones are still really affordable (as low as $10) and I think undervalued.

Andrea that is a KILLER marble... :Emoticon-jawdrop: I'm in LOVE! :blush:

If you ever get tired of looking at that rascal, and it needs a good home, I PROMISE I'd take real good care of it... :Cool_653:

Well, I tried - I wouldn't let go of it either!!

Thanx Roger !

The second example.... I would have never know. :Sad_headshake_tweetz:

Pop Quiz...I would have said M.K. or Vitro

Time to sort my Red/White 2 Seamers.

Might have to find this case. Third Row

down...?????

post-279-1224548923_thumb.jpg

Am lucky enough to have had and still do

have the first CAC AA you posted from my

Original Collection.

As said above...great work...excellent info !

RAR

Guest browse4antiques

The 2-seamer was purchased as AA from AlanB. I would never have imagined it was AA, until in hand it is evident. I don't know exactly what you mean by: "Am lucky enough to have had and still do have the first CAC AA you posted from my Original Collection". All the marbles in my post are in my collection. ... Roger

That is great info. I would like to take it a bit further. As you can see the AA red is kind of a washed out brick red and the white base crease pontle has a brighter red. I have seen transparent red as well as opaque red. Both are brighter then the AA red. The white base creased pontle has the same construction as the transparent base slag type crease pontle. Sorry no pics. These have been found in boxes from japan. They have colored transparent bases with white swirled on the surface making a loose 9 and wrapping around the equator of the marble a couple times to terminate in a puckered straight seam ( pinched pontle ) They come in blue, aqua, amber, green and peach for sure. I can't remember if there are clear or red. The construction of the pattern is the same as the opaque red and white and the pontle looks the same also. Based on the above, it is fair to say the opaque red and white pinch or crease pontle are newer Japanese, made at the same factory where the transparent slag type were made.

Picked up this gropper box at the OC show from a walk in. The AAs range from brown to orange but are very distinct with the transluscent white. I have had the 2 seamer(center 4th pic) for a while. Norm Brown had a mint American Agate box of size 00 2 seamers. It was incredible. Peace,Galen

post-87-1206498690_thumb.jpg

post-87-1206498701_thumb.jpg

post-87-1206498712_thumb.jpg

post-87-1206498722_thumb.jpg

post-87-1206498772_thumb.jpg