Color-base Variation

Guest browse4antiques

Guest browse4antiques

These are all color-based "crease-pontil transitionals" - the type found mostly in Southern Ontario. The blue, green, and purple are the usual base colors (sometimes yellow). But there is quite a wide range of shades of these colors used, and the striping glass varies a lot too. Because they are so scarce, and made in such variation, the operation that produced them must have been very small, and yet the glass makers, and the gatherers appear to have been very skilled. There were a couple of high quality glass operations in Southern Ontario in the early 1900's. The operations were staffed by a tightly knit community of immigrant German glass-makers. But the sites have been dug, and there is was no sign of any marbles. On a few occasions in the period 1915-1930, factories burned down, each time it took a year or more to rebuild. My theory is that at some point when a factory was down, some of the glass-workers who had experience in marbles, put together a small cottage industry that only operated until the factory restarted. ... Roger

post-112-1182436966_thumb.jpg

Roger, what does the upper left hand corner look like on its other end? I don't own an example but was hunting for a CA photo and stumbled across a listing Alan currently has active...I guess he gets a free plug. This color combination also shows up in the 2-seam (and I suppose 1 seam variety) as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marbles-5-8-CHRISTENSE...1QQcmdZViewItem

I will of course remove all this at Alan's request.

-Brad

Edit: Sami beat me to it, great minds think alike :)

Guest browse4antiques

Scott, yes they did make white-based, and transparent colored ones as well (including red, yellow), and once you catch on to the patterns and cutoffs, they are quite easy to distinguish from the others. Here's a pic of several red/white bottoms.

Sami and Brad, I also thought it looked like CA, and I purchased one of the CA striped transparents that, from the pics, looked to be the same, but in hand the colors are different (sorry, I don't have a pic of the CA). Here's the rest of the orange/green crease-pontil. ... Roger

post-112-1182455408_thumb.jpg

post-112-1182455445_thumb.jpg

Guest browse4antiques

I wish I knew where to dig for them. It's just my theory that there was a site in Southern Ontario where they were made. All these were either from the wild or from eBay. I've been buying up any that I can get my hands on for about 20 years now. ... Roger