Phenomenal Marble

VTAndrea

I saw that auction, and I can't believe it went for anywhere near what it did. I don't see a whole lot of difference between that marble and a below-average Vacor Michaelangelo.

I'm not totally serious, but I'm not totally unserious either.

I just don't get it.

Now I'll sit back and wait for people to fling nasty comments at me.

But I could understand this one going for maybe a third of what it did:

Clown

Steph, the so-called "Leightons" that look like this are generally considered German-made. Sellers continue to refer to them as Leightons because collectors know that they mean this type. Confusing, huh? Alan B. always qualifies his listings when he puts one up for bid and describes them as probably German-made. Wherever made, I find this type compelling.

It's an interesting thing to call the first marble "Beautiful." I can understand M!b$ comment... If it wasn't for the fact that it is what it is.... well.... It really just isn't that spectacular.

But, once you've been bitten by the love for this type of marble, that one sticks out as an amazing eye-popper!!!

I've been fascinated with these since long before I'd ever heard of Leightons... Dredging through buckets of 10¢ marbles, I always thought of these as finding a hidden, secret gem!!! The ones no one noticed were so different from the others!!

They may not have all the funk and flash of that incredible clown... But, as a rare and unique marble, it's a killer!!!

Got back online about an hour before this one sold. (power out for 9 days). I'm one of those crazies who loves these "leightons" which I think it is pretty much agreed that they are German rather than US. The price for this one was pretty much inline with what would have expected to pay, and probably would have bid if I had been in a better mood and warmer. Size is about as big as they come and nice enough condition. If had more oxblood and a more exciting pattern was easily worth double that. I've paid more for smaller ones and sold smaller ones for more than that. Like any mib it is in the eye of the beholder.

Bill

Hey Bill, I feel the same way about this kind of marble but if I spent that much $$ on one, my heart would probably stop. It's easily what I'd expect to pay for an upscale side by side refrigerator! When I think about it in those terms, somehow I can never bring myself to jump in and do it. I do have a nice 25/32" one I picked up at a show from an agent for Hansel DeSousa. Will post it if I can get a decent picture later.

I know I always say I'll try to get pics up, then never do.... This could be another incident... But, I will try to gather up my trannies and get pictures... I have a few with oxblood and others that appear to be the same glass and maker, without the ox....

Think how many marbles you could put IN it!!!

Brings a whole new meaning to "Cool Marbles!!" :D

......... OK...... I'm sorry...... LOL :closedeyes:

Andrea,

I'd look at price of a fridge and say wow just think of the great marbles I could buy instead.:-)

Bill

Exactly the way I feel!

One of the biggest marble spenders I know from the 1980's and 1990s, Dan Halstead, removed the light bulb from his fridge so as not to unnecessarily increase his electricity bill. I suppose I'm the same way.

This particular marble is illustrated in Marble Mania (pg 80 and 84) and in Bob Block's "Collecting Early Machine-made Marbles". pg 28. It last sold privately(I'm told) for around $3500. It's been up on eBay before; if I remember correctly, reserve of around $2000 not being met. So the current sale price is a 'bargain', but over the years, someone lost the price of a nice fridge.

So my no-brainer-can't-lose advice (remember, free advice is worth the price) is to buy a couple pounds of Jabo Eagles from Smitty (who will give you a great wholesale rate), then nicely ask Jo to email you pictures of the dozen or so varieties of Eagles, and you can have great fun the rest of this winter sorting out your marbles while you food stays cold on the back porch.

Hansel