So If You Had This Box Would You Hope To Replace The Marbles Someday?

Steph

STILL ON TOP OF THE PULSE!

ringer.jpg

Note the different construction of the two boxes. Our Ringer Box has a tray for the bag & separate areas for the Ringers. The red box has a fixed divider & all the marbles in one area.

You can't be friends with friends of your enemy.

I'm Hip,

:Happy_457:

LL

• 2 months later...

Lloyd, if you happen to see this ... what was the significance of the difference in construction?

made at different times?

the red one not authentic?

just different, not necessarily significant?

always curious - thanks!

Thanks Al. So there was some variety of box styles and colors. With the variety it makes me wonder why they seem so relatively rare now? Was it because kids who bought them were serious players and got right to using them? Or coz they're old? Or coz in spite of the variety Akro didn't make that many? The filigree looks sort of like the trim on Akro flinties or moonies boxes, and the cartoon boys look like the same style as in the Big Time Marbles comics/ads in Boys Life in 1931. Hmmm, Ringer boxes really are old, aren't they. LOL But seriously, those are some early sets.

Gosh, "marble set" is so very generic. And 'ringer' would have been pretty generic too back then. This probably isn't going to be an easy box to find in ads.

I see a December 1933 ad for a "marble set". Says it contains "highly colored marbles" and a chamois bag. "Highly colored" sounds like a good description for popeyes. Of course I know there were other options for "highly colored" marbles in 1933. Just thinking aloud!

Sunbursts, sparklers .... sparklers? ... oh no, I just blew a fuse. :blink::P It suddenly dawns on me that I don't think I've ever seen what sort of packaging sparklers would have been sold in. Only a salesman case and a stock box.

Sunbursts, sparklers .... sparklers? ... oh no, I just blew a fuse. :blink::P It suddenly dawns on me that I don't think I've ever seen what sort of packaging sparklers would have been sold in. Only a salesman case and a stock box.

Popeyes were of course sold in the more familiar red and yellow Popeye boxes. There were also 100 count Popeye boxes.

100ctPopeyeBox.jpg

Do you know what the end of that box said? The only tri-onyx label I recall seeing is the one pictured in the Hardy book. Before the popeye boxes came out, I suspect the usual way retailers were shown tri-onyx akros was in the Specials compartment of the sample cases. Popeyes seem to show up there a lot, as do ades, and various other types.

On my parallel track, the packaging I see Sparklers in tonight: the Sparklers compartments in sample cases, a Sparkler Agates stock box (Hardy book), in one column of an Akro Special box (Hardy book), and two different Spiral Agates stock boxes (one from the Hardy collection and one Buddy posted - the Hardy box has half sparklers and half spirals).

• 2 months later...

Bingo! Er, I mean, here's a follow-up on the ever so important sparkler question. I know you were holding your breath. :P

Looking at a jobbers price list for 1933-1934 . . . sparklers are listed. They were part of the Special Assortment. From the flyer:

NOTE:---This assortment consists of ROYALS, GLASSIES, SPIRALS and SPARKLERS, packed either as an assortment or as individual types, as specified.

The price on the No. 0 size was $2.40 for 1000 marbles. So Sparklers cost less than Moss Agates - the price on the No. 0 size for Moss Agates was $3.00 per 1000. The most expensive marbles in the list were "the brand new and exclusive Akro Carnelian" at $4.00 per 1000. "Conceded to be the best glass marbles manufactured." :-) Wonder who "conceded" that. :-)

(Thanks to George S. for a copy of the ad.)

Several years ago one of these large popeye stock boxes came up for sale that had the 3/4 th inch shooter isze in them, not a full box but maybe 20-25.

Being shooters it went for about $6-$700 even partially full. Neat thing though is picture quality was not good and it did not show the bue, purple, yellow and white

hybrids in box.... collector who bought the box showed me it to me and the hybrids found in it.

Don