Akro Update.........

The riverbank, hillside, private properties, and most surrounding area has been devastated by some diggers. I have dug there but not to the degree that has happened lately. the police are now patroling frequently and after walking around I could not find a decent place to even attempt to dig. I believe the diggin' days at Akro are ending fast. the only real places left would be under city or folio's property. which is a whole nother issue!

Here's an idea from the rookie in Michigan. Give me two seconds and hear me out please...

I know alot of people would not, could not, and will not ever dig due to moral/ethical reasons. I tip my hat to those people. I try to walk as straight a path as I can, but honestly... I would be temped beyond withstanding if I ever had the chance. The prospect of pulling something out of the ground that I had never laid my hands on before, what an awesome experience. To unearth something I hadn't held since I was a child, or something of sort my grandfather plinked across a circle, would be more spectacular than I could ever describe. However, to date that opportunity has not presented itself to the extent that I would have to make that decision. But there is one thing that would remove this delima altogether.

What if there were designated, and legal places that we set up today where people could come and atleast bring their young kids to dig and have that experience? I know that many marble shows come to the same general location year after year. And I know my kids would love it. And let's not forget there are some wonderful kid's at-heart still out there that would like to do this too. There may be another idea for them.

There are many people out there who love marbles. Many associations and chapters across the States celebrate these very beautiful glass orbs or mibs if you like. Is there not a way to get everyone together to make a place in each area where annual digs could be held? You could sell tickets to the dig area? Maybe generate some revenue for your local club in the process? Of course the prices per entry, (say 50 dollars), would have to balance with how many tickets you wanted to sell,(say 50 tickets) and the worth of the treasure they are seeking, (say 2000.00). Even if all the marbles are found, you just gained a club profit of 500.00. But there is that lingering question, "Where are you getting all these marbles to just throw on the ground?"

I love vintage marbles, hand made, machine made, you name it. Old or new, if it's glass or clay and round, I can't take my eye's off them! Since many people have something different that they enjoy, you could mix it up. Have an initial donation to help kick this off, would be one way to make it happen. Then your club would keep all the proceeds the first year and use the entire monies gained in the first year to keep it going subsequent years. In other words, your club would gain the funds to purchase marbles for the next year, and this would just continue. Or, if your club has funds to get it started you would have an initial investment, but it would pay for itself after the first year. Enough on this, you get the idea. There is something else to consider.

This could start something fun, not only to get the younger generations involved in mibs, but for many people - legally. Imagine pulling out a marble from a show three years ago that was the ultimate prize then but no one found! You would be smiling ear to ear as would I! If it was a one of a kind contemporary? Or a sulphide that turned your eye? How about an Alley? MFC? I could go on and on.. but again I am sure you understand. It would be very fun, for kids and more experienced kids alike.

Just a thought. :)

God Bless!

the past owner of a mk site let people dig on her property for 100$ an hour...and believe me it was timed....the other site the cops have my info and haint allowed back...unscruplious people ruin the digs at every site...leave garbage -leave holes not covered....etc-etc....the guy that owned the one mk site shut it off when a couple had their infant down there...granted there is honest folk but the city of paden city has passed an ordinance against diggin for marbles...people still do it..i guess they can afford a thousand dollar fine....they said there is health issues with all the chemicals thats in there....and on the other hand its not easy....hard work and ive cut myself bunches of time...gary its not as exotic and glamorous as you would imagine unless you like poision ivy skeeters and snakes...and mud.....ive found some nice stuff diggin and did most of mine in cold weather...its better than on a 80 degree 75 % humidy day...

Here's an idea from the rookie in Michigan. Give me two seconds and hear me out please...

I know alot of people would not, could not, and will not ever dig due to moral/ethical reasons. I tip my hat to those people. I try to walk as straight a path as I can, but honestly... I would be temped beyond withstanding if I ever had the chance. The prospect of pulling something out of the ground that I had never laid my hands on before, what an awesome experience. To unearth something I hadn't held since I was a child, or something of sort my grandfather plinked across a circle, would be more spectacular than I could ever describe. However, to date that opportunity has not presented itself to the extent that I would have to make that decision. But there is one thing that would remove this delima altogether.

What if there were designated, and legal places that we set up today where people could come and atleast bring their young kids to dig and have that experience? I know that many marble shows come to the same general location year after year. And I know my kids would love it. And let's not forget there are some wonderful kid's at-heart still out there that would like to do this too. There may be another idea for them.

There are many people out there who love marbles. Many associations and chapters across the States celebrate these very beautiful glass orbs or mibs if you like. Is there not a way to get everyone together to make a place in each area where annual digs could be held? You could sell tickets to the dig area? Maybe generate some revenue for your local club in the process? Of course the prices per entry, (say 50 dollars), would have to balance with how many tickets you wanted to sell,(say 50 tickets) and the worth of the treasure they are seeking, (say 2000.00). Even if all the marbles are found, you just gained a club profit of 500.00. But there is that lingering question, "Where are you getting all these marbles to just throw on the ground?"

I love vintage marbles, hand made, machine made, you name it. Old or new, if it's glass or clay and round, I can't take my eye's off them! Since many people have something different that they enjoy, you could mix it up. Have an initial donation to help kick this off, would be one way to make it happen. Then your club would keep all the proceeds the first year and use the entire monies gained in the first year to keep it going subsequent years. In other words, your club would gain the funds to purchase marbles for the next year, and this would just continue. Or, if your club has funds to get it started you would have an initial investment, but it would pay for itself after the first year. Enough on this, you get the idea. There is something else to consider.

This could start something fun, not only to get the younger generations involved in mibs, but for many people - legally. Imagine pulling out a marble from a show three years ago that was the ultimate prize then but no one found! You would be smiling ear to ear as would I! If it was a one of a kind contemporary? Or a sulphide that turned your eye? How about an Alley? MFC? I could go on and on.. but again I am sure you understand. It would be very fun, for kids and more experienced kids alike.

Just a thought. :)

God Bless!

do not take offense to this but what is morally or ethically wrong with diggin'? I dug at the Big Dig, which was legal. I had permission to dig mostly where all my stuff came from. I admit there might have been a time or twleve that I picked up stuff that others left after illegally digging or maybe took avantage of a fenceline or two but I never demolished, destroyed, or defaced any property. Some diggers do have morals and ethics. Just for the record. No offense taken Gary just wanted to put this out there.

If it was your property,land and marbles,what would you do? Do you have a good lawyer? I don't know of any club that ownes an old marble factory site or would take on the liability. The good old days of digging are gone for a long list of reasons. It is good that a lot of history was brought to the surface when and while possible. Not to many years ago,people did not want any dug marble,they were all junk and useless. Digging was not a large problem until there was a value of cash in it. Years ago diggers were called nuts,ask Roger Hardy.