Black Aventurine

There are some dug akros that are red, yellow, and black patches. they have avenurine in the black and bleeding over. Probably was not intentional as so many were buried. Bo Stiff has some and I believe Ernie and Dani have some. Since aventurine is metal flakes that exist in glass that is supersaturated with that particular metal, I think it's possible that any company could have made some but not on purpose. Edna

Heres a pic:

BlackAventurineA.jpg

The aventurine ribbon is backwards s-shaped, and keeps on one side of the marble. There is a sort of ribbon of clear glass which meets up with either end of the aventurine ribbon. Not any really obvious seams but I'm still seeing it closer to a patch and/or ribbon type of marble than to a swirl, say.

BlackAventurineB.jpg

Who besides Pelt in the 1920's/1930's and Jabo in 2008 made marbles with in your face sparkling black aventurine?

Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge neither the Tribute Run, Last Dance Run, nor Tribute to Friendship Run used any black Aventurine. I cannot speak for the other runs.

Only Peltier had black aventurine in the 1920's and 1930's, as far as I know.

They don't mention aventurine in their records, but they had a formula for black that they called special black, and it looks like a likely candidate for black aventurine glass by the ingredients.

They also had a special blue, a couple special greens, and a special red, but I have never seen an example of that one.

The mansion/jabo run had an aventurine that went black.

mike b.

Thanks Steve. I was thinking of the Joker II run. But I'm pretty sure it's not a Jabo in any case. It came in a group of interesting older marbles.

P.s., Thanks Mike. I think that's what happened in the Joker II run also. It "went black".

They don't mention aventurine in their records, but they had a formula for black that they called special black, and it looks like a likely candidate for black aventurine glass by the ingredients.

They also had a special blue, a couple special greens, and a special red, ....

KEWL

I'm not sure that it is strictly correct to say that aventurine is undissolved or unmelted metal flakes. I think it is the result of a special and very complicated heating and cooling process that allows these aventurine crystals to form.

mike

I have collected many examples of marbles with black aventurine.

Peltiers are the ONLY examples I have that have the aventurine "IN" the glass.

The Akro's, Alley's, Vitro's, Jackson's and other unidentified samples all have the black aventurine "ON" the surface of the glass.

I think MIGBAR is VERY correct in that it is not a glass formula (per say), but rather a happenstance of how that particular glass cools and heats to get the crystal's just so.

I do have a piece of black aventurine that I got form one of todays glass makers who acquired it from an over seas source and everytime (so far) that it has been added to any other glass, it has burned out. The black goes to clear.

They have tried it with numerous other glass and it jus does not have the capability (that we can find so far) to be used as aventurine.

Bo

A few years ago I sent Bo Stiff a solid black aventurine marble that was dug at one of the Akro digs. A digger by the name of Clifford White sent it to me and he was the one that dug it up and said that it was quit deep in the ground. It was far from round, but solid black aventurine. As far as how old it is, your guess will be as good as any. I think this is right, but it's been a long time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.

I still have that marble Leroy however, it wasn't black aventurine, but green aventurine.

That marble is solid green aventurine with a yellow snake on the surface.

Undoubatable proof that Akro did in fact make aventurine due to the snake on the surface.

Any time you'd like it back, just let me know and it'll be in the mail to you the next day my friend.

I know I have enjoyed showing it off @ a lot of marble shows around the country.

Bo

Dang, wrong again. That's what time can due to my memory. Hey Friend, I don't give things to people expecting for them to be returned. It belonged to you from the time I put it into the post office, whenever that was. I just thought it was black Av., but you are right it does say that Akro had aventurine in marbles back when? Thanks Bo for setting me straight.

----Leroy----

if I remember right, your words were.....

(and I quote from memory)

"I'll send it to you on loan so you can prove to folks that Akro did have aventurine since you go to more shows than I do"

I never have considered it mine, but I still like to show it off. LOL!!!!