Real Or Fake?

venwood

You might need to wait for Al.

They look like they could be marbles which Champion would have had on hand. If there are cat's eyes in there, Champ wouldn't have made them, but they might still have had them around. Especially in the 1970's.

Are there 21 marbles in the bag?

There are some real Champ bags, filled with real Champ mibs, but not with the permission of Champion. If I understand correctly. Champ bags are a tricky area.

Yeah, they might be Champion marbles (kind of look like they are) and a Champion header and bag but there is a highly likely that those were 'filled' bags. Champion had a sale at one time and somebody got Champion marbles, empty polybags and Champion headers (labels). They then proceeded to fill and staple the bags together (everything original to Champion except the staples). They ran out of marbles before they ran out of bags and headers so they put other marbles in the bags. Also, I "think" (can't find the flyer copy) that there were a couple fake Champion bags in the group of 53 fake/fantasy bags made by the guy out of Florida in the mid 90's. Nationwide Insurance and Milton Bradley were also some of the header from the Champion factory that were filled, too. I posted some pics of the filled Champion bags (or may have been the fake ones out of Florida, too, since he used MK's a lot).

post-60-125910405918_thumb.jpg

post-60-125910406993_thumb.jpg

post-60-125910414029_thumb.jpg

post-60-125910415017_thumb.jpg

Someone recently showed pix of a big "Champion" cache. At least I remembered it has having a Champion connection. And I think there were cat's eyes there.

Whose thread was that?

And weren't there cat's eyes in some of the Bicentennial bags? Or were my bags fake? Anything is possible, I guess.

It was my understanding that Champion purposefully filled the Bicentennial Bags with marbles from several WV companies, and I think Heaton and MK cats are not uncommon in those bags. I also thought that Champion never manufactured cat's eyes. Are the ones you dug there distinctly different from other manufacturer's cat's eyes or could they just be remnants of those Champion obtained from other companies?

I agree with Ric - the Champion Bicentennial bags were filled using marbles from as many WV companies as they could get marbles from. By the way, the Bicentennial bags were also filled later on with 'other' marbles. I have one with red, white & blue marbles and have seen others that did not have the variety from the original bags. While I don't recall hearing or reading it, it would not surprise me if the 'filled' bags that I mentioned in a previous post also included the Bicentennial bags.