What About This Auction?

Contemporary, Teign Valley handmade from House of Marbles, been made since 1980's (very nice but not at a vintage price)

Good Catch, Ziggy!! Do they do that exact style?? The blue lutz in the link below is pretty close...

I saw one very similar at the NE show, by an American artist (I didn't buy it, went back to buy it and it was gone... I've always regretted it... :( ) It was before I'd really gotten into contemporaries and I don't remember who the artist was....

Never seen another just like it.

Location-wise, Teign Valley would make sense...

Teign Valley at House of Marbles

At any rate.... Someone must have tipped the seller off. He ended the auction...

Multi-lobed marble auction

I'd still like to see it in-hand....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand is: why should somebody sell a fake marble on eBay, while he's member since sept-03 and has a 100% 1607 feedback? If it is a fake, does the seller know it?

Yes the seller knows. I recognised his photography style when that image was posted, so I had a delve on Ebay to find out where he disappeared to.

During 2004-2005 he bought and sold many handmade vintage swirls on Ebay including some amazing ones under the name chezbargains and received many very happy feedbacks from collectors. Changed name to vintagemarles and following a neg fb changed name to vauxtigra and merged the account with his non marble id ive856 which only shows vauxtigra in id history, so hiding the marble id's forever, unless you search find member vauxtigra then they are there. The marble fb still shows on the ive856 id but no one would scroll back that far to see it.

One quick way of getting a good overview of a seller is to put the id into toolhaus fb checker for negs or neuts, the ive856 id brings up 7, 2 relating to marble transactions. That alone would ring alarm bells for me.

He no longer lists on Ebay UK, so probably found a better market elsewhere. And I totally agree it would be boring if every disputable marble was brought up here as many sellers are unknowlegable or hopeful, but this one knows what he is selling.

Yes the seller knows. I recognised his photography style when that image was posted, so I had a delve on Ebay to find out where he disappeared to.

During 2004-2005 he bought and sold many handmade vintage swirls on Ebay including some amazing ones under the name chezbargains and received many very happy feedbacks from collectors. Changed name to vintagemarles and following a neg fb changed name to vauxtigra and merged the account with his non marble id ive856 which only shows vauxtigra in id history, so hiding the marble id's forever, unless you search find member vauxtigra then they are there. The marble fb still shows on the ive856 id but no one would scroll back that far to see it.

One quick way of getting a good overview of a seller is to put the id into toolhaus fb checker for negs or neuts, the ive856 id brings up 7, 2 relating to marble transactions. That alone would ring alarm bells for me.

He no longer lists on Ebay UK, so probably found a better market elsewhere. And I totally agree it would be boring if every disputable marble was brought up here as many sellers are unknowlegable or hopeful, but this one knows what he is selling.

Oké you've done some good homework, I have to believe you, and I also agree with you and others, that there are sellers who know that they are selling a fake marble, because they have, or should have the knowledge of the item they sell.

That's why I wondered a while ago, when I saw an auction of a marble that was at least very disputable, if not fake. I even wondered more, that I never saw that auction on this board, nobody saw it?? I will not give a link to the auction, I've seen before, a few years ago, what happens here if you do. But I think that this auction was never placed on this board, because of the seller. Nobody hat the guts to attack the seller(?), and that's alright with me, maybe I also haven't it. But please stop with this comedy, placing the one auction, but not the other.

Maybe I'm wrong and this auction was placed, but I never saw it, in that case, I'm an idiot with, with a very great mouth and have to say sorry to all of you now, but I've never saw this auction here.

This is all I have to say about this subject.

Cees.

Cees, you are correct.

There are some people whose auctions I wouldn't dare post, even for a relatively innocent question.

There are some chinas I questioned from Marblealan. I wrote to him about them and he said maybe I was right because lots of other people had asked him about them. I know some of the people who wrote because we talked about our thoughts - in private. Alan posted more like them later so maybe he remained convinced that they were authentic.

I still wonder about those chinas sometimes. For all I know, Alan was right that they were old. I just wonder. I have an acquaintance who collects ceramics whom I've been toying with asking about those - in private.

I mention these details now simply to say, "you are right" that some sellers are treated with great respect even when believed to be in error while others are criticised with no holds barred.

I guess it could be argued that the people EARNED their right to be treated with respect, and given the benefit of the doubt. To a large degree I believe that. However there are some behaviors which I think are wrong, no matter who does them, but they are excused when some do them. And to get along, board members just go along.

This comment about questionable behaviors is NOT about Alan. Please no one go tell him I was piling on him! :-)

Oops sorry I already did.(LOL) Not really, but Alan and I have exchanged emails about some of his auctions. He takes criticism pretty well. Facts are, He is in it to get the most he can for the marbles he has to sell. It is business. If he wasn't he wouldn't be doing as well as he is with them. I still can't except calling an Akro a Rebel though.

It is seldom that I look at marbles on Ebay these days so missed this one when listed and likewise any other disputable ones listed lately, but recognized the style of the one posted at #1.

I guess it could be argued that the people EARNED their right to be treated with respect, and given the benefit of the doubt. To a large degree I believe that.

I totally agree, respect where it is due. Respect to any seller who lists a marble with honesty and integrity, within the scope of their knowledge and in return respects the buyer, by delivering what the buyer who trusts and pays out for believes they are getting.