What About This Auction?

I was intrigued by what looked as if it might be an authentic sort of wear. However, reliable sources say fake. Made by that same guy in Lauscha whom JVV mentioned in the recent fake china thread.

Hi Steph, I don't think it's made by a guy in Lauscha, but in the surrounding area. I think what J means, is that he got info over these marbles from a guy in Lauscha.

Cees.

"I am no expert on this type of subject so there will be no returns." - Sellers statement. Other than the marble itself this should be sufficient warning. Why trust to anything where there isn't a Return Privilege with reasonable understanding. Amazing the discretionary money that is floating around! David

Interesting looks more legit than the last one, but? I find it odd that he would measure in inches (and metrics) first time I have ever seen that from the UK (they don't measure in inches there) pretty strange. IMHO

He's aiming at the US marble market. Note he also quotes shipping in dollars on the big "paperweight " marble in the text of the other listing.

"I am no expert on this type of subject so there will be no returns." - Sellers statement. Other than the marble itself this should be sufficient warning. Why trust to anything where there isn't a Return Privilege with reasonable understanding. Amazing the discretionary money that is floating around! David

Indeed, $5K here, $5K there and after awhile you're talking about big money....;-)

For a combination of reasons (not all mentioned here) I agree the marble is fake and the glass one not right either, but no need to be put off by UK sellers who use inches or mm or both, it is normal here, I flit between metric and old all the time as does everyone I know.

100% FAKAROONY!!!!!

I really don't like to put up comparisons like this, for fear they end up as a "How to improve your china marble painting guide..."

But, once in a while, we've gotta do it for the right educational reasons... LOL

Due to the brightness and wear, even my picture doesn't really show how incredibly precise and even the horizontal lines of an old china are... I don't know how they did it. But, they are dead straight and even.

post-3-126575611111_thumb.jpg post-3-126575612311_thumb.jpg

I understand your reluctance to post the pix Sue, but I really appreciate them. Pretty big difference , , , "obvious" , , , now that you point it out!

By the way, a question about this auction was posted at GA. I invoked your name as someone who could tell 'em more than I was able to. I guess I could just post a link over to here. But I've already posted forty eleven times in that thread so I'll leave it to you to comment if you choose.

I'll check it out tomorrow, Steph (uhhhh, I guess that would be later today... :unsure: )

I've been checking in here pretty regularly, but I haven't been into GA much, for a while...

Too many boards, too little time!! LOL

It may be interesting to watch the feedback for this auction... I'm REALLY hoping these buyers aren't walking away from these transactions satisfied...

I wonder the same thing...

I know there's speculation on the multi-lobed... I've seen marbles like this that were vintage and I've seen them as contemporary. Based on what's visible in the pictures, I think I'd lean towards vintage over contemporary...

I think, any contemporary artist who is capable of that quality of work, would be more precise in the centering symmetry of the core...

The feedback of the seller shows this is not their usual type of product... It looks to me as if they are selling these for someone else. Or, they happened across them in a random way.

Old or new, I'd like to run across that lobed one in random way.... ;)

For a combination of reasons (not all mentioned here) I agree the marble is fake and the glass one not right either, but no need to be put off by UK sellers who use inches or mm or both, it is normal here, I flit between metric and old all the time as does everyone I know.

So do I, especially in my ebay listings. I'll list sizes and weights in metric and Old English for the convenience of foreign and domestic bidders.

but no need to be put off by UK sellers who use inches or mm or both,

Youre right, if every disputable marble was picked up here, it could be boring at last. Also in Holland I've seen fakes. I think all over the (marble) world these kind off marbles will show up. Even offered by people you never thought they would. I think, that if you want to show the one, you have to show the other to. Or else stop with it.

C.