Posting Links To Active Auctions.....

Scoop

I haven't heard anything yet.... But, I can feel it comin'!!!

Unless an auction is clearly deceptive and needs to be a warning....

Out of respect for both sellers and bidders, we should probably hold off on the links until the auction is over...

I would have to disagree. Posting an active link to an auction that are fraud or known fakes helps us that may not know and helps bidders not get burned. I would make one amendment to that if you post the link you must have informed the seller and post their response. The seller that got burned by Pavcraz didnt know. They put in the auction later that it was fake. This makes them upstanding in my book and they did the right thing. If that auction hadnt been posted the fake may have been passed on to bidder.

Enough of us have spot-on knowledge to be able to provide a warning w/o fear that we're squashing marble trade and Clyde's proviso provides adequate documentation justification. Of course, like myself, I haven't the first idea how to computer-wise advise the seller/buyer. Anyone care to spell it out to me and set me off on another path of grief? David

Clyde, I totally agree. That's why I said....

Unless an auction is clearly deceptive and needs to be a warning....

I was referring to the auction of the "half marbles" and the one with the funky Superman and Golden Rebel...

It's fun to make comments about auctions... But, in both cases, I can see bidders being unhappy about the exposure and sellers being unhappy about the criticism...

As much as I can appreciate the mention of the Superman and Golden Rebel... There's still a lot in that auction that makes it not such a bad deal (so far...)

If I were hoping to win it, or if I were the seller... I wouldn't appreciate the thread.

Clyde, I totally agree. That's why I said....

I was referring to the auction of the "half marbles" and the one with the funky Superman and Golden Rebel...

It's fun to make comments about auctions... But, in both cases, I can see bidders being unhappy about the exposure and sellers being unhappy about the criticism...

As much as I can appreciate the mention of the Superman and Golden Rebel... There's still a lot in that auction that makes it not such a bad deal (so far...)

If I were hoping to win it, or if I were the seller... I wouldn't appreciate the thread.

I see what you're saying. For me as a newbie, it's very instructive to read criticisms of active auctions when the commentary is coming from experienced collectors and dealers. Also, completed listings sometimes don't have the pics attached once the listing ends.

Maybe we need to cool the accusations of fraud and just comment on what we see. The lot you're referring to is something I would pay less than a hundred dollars for in a face to face deal. It's gone over $300 last I saw. Ebay distorts the market for collectibles sometimes. Commenting on what goes on there is a good thing as a learning tool for newbies like me.

An honest seller would appreciate honest information.

A "newby" would appreciate "honest information".

The only people that I could see,getting upset,are people who had interest in the lots,before the auction got posted here,or a seller that had "less than honerable" intentions.

If you are going to critique,someones auction,without,actually asking the seller,questions,FIRST,then thats a problem.

Remember the old saying,about ASSumptions?

A very old man, whom is gone now, once told me something that I still screw up :confused-smileys-327: He told me that even though you bake the cake and ice it with all the best intensions, you will more than likely end up with it in your face more than not.

With that said, our thought process leads us to this;

If the great people in this forum do not do anything to protect ourselves or fellow unknown collectors are we really true to the hobby?

Is this forum not the place to provide data and facts in which we all use for our learning experience?

Do we not (be honest now) depend on others to help guide us with the uncertain areas that we are unsure of?

Are we (marble collectors) here to not only to enjoy the marbles but to make friends and discuss issues relating to our desires?

Now with that said and the cake, I say, it's your cake and others will eat it too, so if situations like fakes come up anywhere, I think it is our obligation to alert the beginner, the unsure and even people like me to such things.

If it is an ebay item, then hey, the seller would either do what the latest seller did and do the honest thing, or they will snap your neck like a chicken ready for stew. Either way it's our hobby and we must do what it takes to make it so hard to sell fakes that it is not worth doing. The hobby is what we make of it and I know that what we do will make the hobby survive. :music-rocker-001:

I know some of you saw the story of the little guy I took to Canton. Wht would he think if he saved his hard to get money and spent it on something he thought was real, then to find out he was taken. I know what he would do, he would loose interest and hide what had happened. In fact, I told him to start reading the posts here and to learn. This is what we do, we help others learn. So, I say, no matter where, what or who, if it's a fake it needs to be here ASAP.

SNYD

[

If you are going to critique,someones auction,without,actually asking the seller,questions,FIRST,then thats a problem.

Bingo ! Get the facts and only the facts. I am a quality manager for a major plastics company and here is what I tell everyone.

I believe and trust GOD, all others bring data!

We need to make sure the facts are accurate so we do not turn into a lynch-mob ourselves.

SNYD

The only people that I could see,getting upset,are people who had interest in the lots,before the auction got posted here,

BINGO!!!!!

That's what I'm really talkin' about.... We've had this come up (A long time ago....) and enough auctions were posted, that several people who work hard to find "sleepers" were pretty PO'd that the auctions they hoped wouldn't be noticed, were plastered up for all to see...

I don't search out auctions... I don't have the time or the spare cash to "search" for stuff...

If I happen to cross an auction that I like, I'll bid...

I'm bummed that I missed the end of the auction with the "half" marbles.... I planned to bid on it.

The only reason I would have bid on it, is because it was posted here... Luckily, for the winner, I didn't realize it ended so soon and I missed it.... It must be a "Karma Thing!!!"

excellent points all!

this one is causing me heartburn... I was interested in it for a small amount willing to bid, but holy cow! look at it now. and what's bothering me is that it is obviuosly a couple newbies bidding, and have no idea those two real 'lookers' are contemp. ***sigh*** and no way to let them know. the seller is quite honest, he basically says he knows nothing about marbles. I believe that. He doesn't sell marbles, he sells other stuff. Can't put any blame on seller, this is a bidding war. so I guess all we can do is shake our heads and say bummer...

auction

I collect and sell antique cast iron cookware too. Ebay scammers and BS artists effectively ruined the hobby for a few years. The forums for collectors were used to try to alert bidders to fraud on ebay, before that became impossible, and to leave a record of scams and counterfeits for people in the hobby. I hope the members here keep up with the current crop of ebay fraudsters. They can ruin the market for collectible marbles and it could stay ruined for years. Scammers make the market for a collectibles into a minefield for new collectors. That damages the market for and interest in collectibles.

heres a wrench into this thread,,, as a seller i say post it up i need the best price i can get, hell, i did all the leg work,,, as a buyer shame on you for wanting to buy some good ole marbles for nothing but to get mad at someone for announcing the auction because you planned on sniping it for nothing, childish, if you want to be in this hobby be prepared to buy high and sell low more often than the reverse,,, i say post up all good auctions that are hiding gems such as the Ajax mib, buyers dig a little deeper and make it worth us "runners" and "finders" busy finding and bringing them to the market,,, everyone wants something for nothing,,seems to me the only complainers are the ones who want it for nothing just to turn it for a quick profit for them selves,, it aint easy finding these in the wild anymore, make it worth our time and effort,,,its like them crab people on tv, they risk their lives to get 5 bucks a pound for the middle man who sells it for 20 bucks a pound,,, jeepers,,, bj

I agree with BJ, who knows, with my observation and posting it on here for all to get a kick out of maybe the person received more bids! I never once said the person was being deceitful about the marbles! I personally got a kick out of the description! I had to read it twice because it was not soaking in that they were pieces! I chuckled when it dawned on me! thought everyone else would too.

one other thing i must say, if your a seller and your always pissing and moaning about your end results try putting "marbles" in your title,, i know when i do a search thats what i put in the search engine,, when you put "handmade clambroth" on your title line i have to say that unless someone makes it known about your auction you virtually lost 70 to 80% of your buyers who use the same way i use to find them,,, also marbles are spelled MARBLES not marbels ,, and SULPHIDES are not spelled sulfides, i know theres a few more key words that work,,, heres a twist i always loved this in the title,, "big lot of marbles in an old antique jar" now thats funny, if you decieve a seasoned buyer you lost a buyer, be honest about what your selling, if you dont know, say i dont know and answer all questions that come your way,,, done saying anything else,, bj

sorry for venting im just blowing off steam due to the drought of not finging anything for a while, i hate that when that happens, its a marble collectors withdrawals nightmare.

OK...... OK!!!!!!!

Uncle!!!

LOL

I'm just bringing back a memory of a thread that happened a long time ago...

I wasn't even involved!!

But.... The end result was... There were more people upset by the postings than not.

So... We (collectively) decided we would be more selective about listing live auctions.

That said... Those who continue... If we get grief, we'll simply forward it to you, OK? :character-smileys-238:

'Works for me..... ;)

one other thing i must say, if your a seller and your always pissing and moaning about your end results try putting "marbles" in your title,,

That said.... This shouldn't need to be... But, past experience says "Just Do It!!!"

When you put the word MARBLES in your auction... Be sure it's spelled correctly!!!

Things that aren't searched often; Mables & Marbels.....

Ooops... I may have just dropped the ball on other "Secret Search" hints!!! LOL