Squabble Zone Moderator

Mike

Why move heated discussion to the Squabble Zone? We all pretty much know how the discussion will come down as the same old posters will be on one side and the others will be on the other side. Is it a squabble, discussion or educational? I am not really sure but think folks have a strong opinion on many sides and should be able to have their say. I would not be in a hurry to move anything from the front page unless folks use the seven banned words. If it gets to personal and name calling gets foul, ban them but do not move stuff around unless you tell folks why. It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

This is just my humble opinion and I hope you do not ban me or move me to the Squabble Zone for this post.

I didn't move that topic... I was kinda surprised to see it moved. I suspect... just by the sequence of communication, that it might have been Lou that moved it...

At any rate... Why? Well, if it had been me... My reasons would be that there are a lot of people who just aren't interested in continuing a squabble... Those who care can go on with it without having it take over the whole atmosphere of the board.

It's sort of an, "OK Folks, let's take this outside" kinda thing...

Those who want to follow, will....

The very strong side of this board, compared to the rest of the boards, has been the tolarance towards heated and contraversial discussions not being controlled and were left for others to read. Sue and Lou were very good at doing that, although I am sure it gave them a lot of heartburn. Things are changing and I am missing the way things were. Contraversial threads may not be pleasant for some, but are also interesting and could be very informal too.

Sami

I moved it.

Guess I could have waited until someone came in and complained yet again about how this board is about nothing but fighting anymore.

Mike's point (which I thought was clever actually) had been lost. I thought it a shame. However the thread was in name-calling mode.

So I moved it.

Why move heated discussion to the Squabble Zone? We all pretty much know how the discussion will come down as the same old posters will be on one side and the others will be on the other side. Is it a squabble, discussion or educational? I am not really sure but think folks have a strong opinion on many sides and should be able to have their say. I would not be in a hurry to move anything from the front page unless folks use the seven banned words. If it gets to personal and name calling gets foul, ban them but do not move stuff around unless you tell folks why. It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Mike, another really good question/point.

Problem with banning the name callers is that sometimes it seems like "everybody" does it. So ban everybody? Or some people don't do it directly, but do it subtly. So ban the people who are direct but let the clever semanticists keep on keeping on?

And sometimes names seem justified! LOL But how to judge that?

It's easier to let everyone keep playing, but to do it where the innocent bystanders and newbies don't get so distressed by it.

Sorry I made the move without comment. I didn't want to seem like I was moving it because of any particular person's post. I set a time in my head and decided that I would move it at that time if the thread was still in name-calling mode when I returned. It was. I moved it. That's how that went down.

The very strong side of this board, compared to the rest of the boards, has been the tolarance towards heated and contraversial discussions not being controlled and were left for others to read. Sue and Lou were very good at doing that, although I am sure it gave them a lot of heartburn. Things are changing and I am missing the way things were. Contraversial threads may not be pleasant for some, but are also interesting and could be very informal too.

Thanks Sami!! (Add Steph to that too...) It is REALLY tough to allow things to be vented. Some people love it, some people hate it.... It seemed like either way we leaned, someone was unhappy...

So... Moving these threads seems to work best... They are still there. They are still open for comments... And, it seems that they fare better at solving whatever issue is at hand, when the people who aren't interested in the thread aren't adding, "Why can't you people shut up and let this thing go?" types of comments...

Soooo, I guess I better go over and find out what names I've been called since I last posted....

:unsure: