Box Making 101

years ago i used to do a little sheet metal fabrication and lately i needed some small boxes for my marbles. i remembered the box making technique i used in sheet metal and tried cardboard in it's place. the cardboard i use is from dollar tree, 2-22"x28" for $1. picture#1 shows basic layout. the 2 1/2" holds 4- 5/8" marbles and the 3/8" works for the sides and ends. picture #2 shows the bends that you make and the little tabs can be taped or use super glue. picture #3 shows marbles in the box. inside measurements can be changed to fit other size marbles. give some a try, they are quick and easy. thanks, jack

post-1692-126918086849_thumb.jpg

post-1692-126918088571_thumb.jpg

post-1692-126918090748_thumb.jpg

ive made these boxes before and i found out that if you make the fold of the top on the other side of the mark it fits perfect...that makes the mark the thickness of the material...even a 32nd is too much and makes a sloppy fit...and if you cut little thumb holes on the lid its easy to open

Oh my Gawd! Do you think you have enough of those Big half 'n' halves?. Geeze! Never seen that many of them since they first arrived at the shows in the 1990s. Dare I ask how many of the corkscrew varieties you have? David

David: I don't have any of the corks. I was offered nine of them by a guy that had similarly accumulated them from Roger. They were the real deal. Back in the day they were offered for $600 each. There is a guy that has been trying to sell one - but seems to have no takers.

I think you and I may be the only Old School types that remember when they were referred to as Half-and-Halves. I haven't heard that term in 12 or so years. :character-smileys-238:

Give this a try. Find a well built ,inconspicuous box.Get some 1/2" foam and back it with cardboard.I make the holes 5/8".These are not brag boxes but alot of marbles can be stored safely.The white foam shows of the marbles well.

post-1768-126947668025_thumb.jpg

post-1768-12694766989_thumb.jpg

post-1768-126947671644_thumb.jpg