10 Vane Cat's Eye (Gotta Be Rare)

Yeah, there's a variety of oddities in cat's-eyes. While that might be a 10 vane (depends on Steph's keen observation of maybe debris making two out of one), the basic cat's-eye like that is a 9 vane so that would be an error type for the 9 vane making 10 vanes. I have some with a missing red vane so it is an 8 vane but nothing like the 'real' 8 vane type cat's-eyes. The error ones are neat and I consider them to be a main part of collecting cat's-eyes. There are a ton of varieties besides # of vanes. Some years ago I started sorting by cage, center style, etc. Then width of vanes on the cage style. Then, with the center style (ones where the vanes comes out from the center of the marble). There are some 'shrunken' vanes where all 3 or 6 are in close to the center. Then some that are halfway out to the edge. Then ones that are fully out to the edge. Of course, there are some of the center style where there is a gap between the starting of the vanes in the center (they don't touch) and then combine that with some of the aforementioned types and you get more. You can see where this is heading and I have not even started with colors. Some have one color on one side of the vane and another color on the other side, etc., etc.......

Yeah, there's a variety of oddities in cat's-eyes. While that might be a 10 vane (depends on Steph's keen observation of maybe debris making two out of one), the basic cat's-eye like that is a 9 vane so that would be an error type for the 9 vane making 10 vanes. I have some with a missing red vane so it is an 8 vane but nothing like the 'real' 8 vane type cat's-eyes. The error ones are neat and I consider them to be a main part of collecting cat's-eyes. There are a ton of varieties besides # of vanes. Some years ago I started sorting by cage, center style, etc. Then width of vanes on the cage style. Then, with the center style (ones where the vanes comes out from the center of the marble). There are some 'shrunken' vanes where all 3 or 6 are in close to the center. Then some that are halfway out to the edge. Then ones that are fully out to the edge. Of course, there are some of the center style where there is a gap between the starting of the vanes in the center (they don't touch) and then combine that with some of the aforementioned types and you get more. You can see where this is heading and I have not even started with colors. Some have one color on one side of the vane and another color on the other side, etc., etc.......

I don't know whether to be relieved or worried that someone else classifies their cat's-eyes the same way I do . . .