Cyclones Vs Cobra

Okay, I have a few mibs which I have heard referred to as Cyclones, these are all Jabo Joker II's Oxbloods, and a couple called Cobras. I'll post some of mine later this evening or maybe tomorrow (working 12 days straight this is day 5, ouch!)

I would like a clear distinction if that's possible with a few photo examples, I would like to see vintage examples, since it is the vintage archetypes which are resulting in what these Jabos are being called.

Looks like the question that'll set off

a 14 page war!

Why would you want to name a Jabo

after the coveted CACS elite?

That's just asking for trouble.

I have both Cyclones & Cobras.

But I won't add fule to a fire.

By adding pics.

I have nothing against Jabos.

Try naming them with something

original, instead of using a vintage name.

Since Jabos are new, try a new name.

That would make it eaiser for the NEWBIE

and less anti acids for the seasoned

collector.

Just one mans opinion.

After witnessing the blood letting

on another thread/

marblemiser

O.K. I'm not 100% sure about this but there are Guinea Cobras and Cobras in the Christensen Agate Co. nomenclature and sometimes the Cobras are called Cyclones. I'm assuming that when they call a cobra a cyclone it's because it takes on the swirling characteristic of a cyclone.

In the Oxblood II Run there was one style that had the characteristics of a CAC Cobra. It was strictly oxblood within the marble in a Cobra configuration.

Now I've often stated my feelings about name calling, marbles and otherwise! I think a name should naturally progress from the marbles evident appearance. I've mostly refrained from naming marbles but have named a limited few over the past 20+ years. I named two Alox marbles a long time ago, a Blue Phantom and a Green Phantom. In a couple of my Jabo articles I got carried away but I think within reason. And there's a couple other marbles that I can't rightly recall at the moment that I named over the years. I'm surprised I haven't named a Ravenswood Marble!

I do know that in past years the name Bumblebee has been ascribed to at least 2 or 3 other marble company's marbles other than Marble King. The same has been done with a goodly number of other company marbles other than Jabo. It's human to look at a marble and see something about it and spontaneously say, that's just like a 'Glerk' or whatever and shorty thereafter you'll discover that other people are agreeing with you and not too long after that people are clearly stating that it is a 'Glerk' from such and such a company although not the original 'Glerk.' Excuse me but the goofy name 'Glerk' just came to me out of the blue.

So, in that JOKER 'Oxblood Series II run when a particular marble had all the appearances of a Cobra you can see how it was a natural to call it one. I don't think any one of them at the run were thinking any disrespect, if anything they were thinking respect. Personally, of the Oxblood Series 'Cobras' I've seen I can't imagine anyone mistaking them. Now if someone when hearing the name for this marble being a Cobra and they automatically jump to the conclusion that it must be a Christensen Agate Co Cobra then I think they have made a wild ass leap totally unwarranted and indicative of a great need to know more about marbles. And if they've mortaged the farm to buy that marble then they are a fool in need of a lesson.

I'm not necessarily defending the marble naming but I wanted to bring some more lattitude to an understanding of the situation and what has been going on from time immemorial in marble naming. I should add that I think too much Jabo marble naming has been going on but I do not believe any of it has been down to deceive any more than there has been an attempt to deceive in the same naming of marbles from companies other than Jabo. Most of the marble naming of Jabo marbles have been totally off-the-wall names that no one could mistake unless again they just were completely lacking in any marble knowledge.

David

yea, Viper and Tornado

and we wouldnt have had a clue.

It would have went a long way.

Freeeeak still want'n to see these marbles I got some and they are sweet.

Almost my favorite edit:Jabo

almost

some of these new 20 color flames aint bad

be sure to keep "them seperated from my other 20 color flames"

I appreciate all your input, but even the educated opinions posed, have not addressed the questions. Or helped in resolving the confusion in the distinguishing between the two naming conventions, Cobra and Cyclone.

I appreciate all the feed back but can someone please post some photo, so we are clear on the distinctions of the types.

We can start a new thread on naming conventions specifically if we want, please lets stick to the thread topic for this one.

ASIDE: Speaking of newbies, when they come to a thread like this looking for clarification they get easily confused, since we the contributors don't stay focused. Seems like we are arguing among ourselves.

O.K. I'm not 100% sure about this but there are Guinea Cobras and Cobras in the Christensen Agate Co. nomenclature and sometimes the Cobras are called Cyclones. I'm assuming that when they call a cobra a cyclone it's because it takes on the swirling characteristic of a cyclone.

In the Oxblood II Run there was one style that had the characteristics of a CAC Cobra. It was strictly oxblood within the marble in a Cobra configuration.

yea, Viper and Tornado

and we wouldnt have had a clue.

It would have went a long way.

Freeeeak still want'n to see these marbles I got some and they are sweet.

Almost my favorite

almost some of these new 20 color flames aint bad

be sure to keep "them seperated from my other 20 color flames"

Excellent David and marbleus1, thank you! Yes please post some nice pics. I would like to arrange photographing some if your willing.

altough we aint saw a marble yet, comments seem to me on topic "sorting out confusion"

I was waiting on your pictures!!!!!!!!!!! you got killer pics, I saw em

to lazy to photo my own marbles (but the stuffs all packed the marbles are upside down...)lazy.

Its easier to steer your own car.

David

Sometimes they wont talk about what you want, you have to.

In the next few days I'm going to find some space and try to set up for some photos

I owe them

altough we aint saw a marble yet, comments seem to me on topic "sorting out confusion"

I was waiting on your pictures!!!!!!!!!!! you got killer pics, I saw em

to lazy to photo my own marbles (but the stuffs all packed the marbles are upside down...)lazy

Its easier to steer your own car.

David

I am actually waiting to take some, I dug our my Joker II oxbloods last night and need to photograph. I will post what I have individually once I get the photos taken. Then I will ask opinions on those.

Here is an added question:

Does the CYCLONE / COBRA fill and swirl all the marble, some of the marble, tightly twisted, more like spaghetti?

We collectors have made this game harder for the beginning collector by using an established name for a different marble . . .

OK, one last digression and then I'LL quit . . . when I was a newbie it looked to me that a particular color combination -- not a particular manufacturer -- was associated with a name, and it all made perfect sense. Of course a black-and-white-striped marble was a zebra, a black-and-yellow one a bumblebee. Of course a blue, red, and yellow one was a Superman, and a green-and-yellow one a John Deer. I only got confused when people started saying NO that's not a Superman because it isn't a Peltier.

I think the association of names with color combos instead of makers is instinctual . . . and I still think of them that way (yea, I have a nice honking Akro Superman corkscrew, no matter what you guys call it. I'm just not gonna call it that around you!)

Is everybody that locked in to such color-based names being welded to a manufacturer? :white-flag-25::white-flag-25::white-flag-25:

Dunno about the shape-based names, either . . . although yes, I'd prefer a new version of the cyclone to be called a tornado instead. Henceforth, I will call my Jabo cyclones/cobras tornados . . . (and sorry, even if I had a working camera, I don't have a CAC cobra/cyclone to take a picture of . . .)

Does the CYCLONE / COBRA fill and swirl all the marble, some of the marble, tightly twisted, more like spaghetti?

The ones I've seen vary wildly -- from a fattish taffy-like piece that can fill most of the marble (kind of like a partial Akro auger) to a shoelace-sized string hanging in space, or a fragment touching the side of the marble with the rest of the marble clear. Have never seen one that could be mistaken for a wirepull, or vice-versa, if that's what you're thinking of . . . But I ain't seen all of them, or even a lot of them . . .

I don't think marblemiser could have put it any better. I have totally stayed out of the whole Jabo thing up until now, but this is just silly. Original marbles should have original names.

Miser start a thread called "The One and Only Cobras and Cyclones Thread" that should help clear things up.

I like it

damnitman

Bill, your post(which you took down?)

it was a good post, fair question, invites discussion. damn near eloquent

I miss it already, lol

handle with care

Jabo Blood Viper

cause we talked about the name.

David

Anybody got Jabo Blood Viper pics. lol

collectors can change manufacturers names, cant they? yea even when they in the books

I hear footsteps, play nice everybody else is

Nice marble s Steph

all we need is pictures to rethread

Okay, I tooks over 100 Pics of what I have and created an ID site. Blood Viper Types!

049.jpg053.jpg040.jpg068.jpg059.jpg

I don't know who coined the Viper name, but "Blood Viper" will be the name I user moving forward for these Jabo Types. I believe the variation will work for other colored Jobo Viper types- For instance a largely green serpent swirl could be a "Tree Viper" a Lutz serpent type a "Golden Viper," and so forth.

I don't know why, but I seem to have a knack for naming marbles. I often disagree with the names I see ascribed to marbles, and believe naming them is a valuable process, for identification, and to associate the marble type with the manufacturer and the general characteristic of the glass orb.

Very Nice. Nice pictures - thanks

Viper - Tree SnakeSerpentSnake

Looking at some Jabos last night. The more cyclonic types I think will cross runs, well probably these Vipers too.

David

typhoon

tempest - WV tempest

sunami

aftermath

dave's, thunder

thunderboomer

tidal wave

tropical storm

eruption

interstellar

Volcano