The Price Of Marbles

It sure seems that as the value of marbles went up and folks began making monetary investments in various marble ventures the seriousness and lack of senses of humor have increased proportionately on the boards. So sad for the newbies.

Galen.... You promised me when You came back here, that you would quit with the barbs...

I've taken way too much time over the past few days, putting out little brush fires...

Most of them have been created... In one way or another, by YOU.

I really need to consider whether it's worth my time to keep this up, just so you can look at pictures...

Get my drift???

I do not believe that the accelerated interest in marbles(or marble ventures) and increased values has in the least lessened the joy of marble collecting and involvement either here on the Board(s) or at the shows or in the general field of marble endeavors. That might be some perspectives but I'd have to say that they were missing the boat. Right now is one of the 'Hay Days' of marble enthusiasm! David

At risk of being in agreement with Galen, I can sort of agree. Neutral to the Jabos for the most part, it does appear that a "riff" has formed in the community. Thus dividing some collectors while others remain neutral. Time will heal.

Neutral to the Jabos for the most part, it does appear that a "riff" has formed in the community. Thus dividing some collectors while others remain neutral. Time will heal.

(I'm not sure it's agreeing with Galen... But, maybe)

Absolutely...

There was a time when all this fluff was flying over collectors finding value in machine made marbles... Oh, the HORROR!!!

There was a story going around that Larry Castle had a barn full of marble filled barrels. Once the craze peaked, he was gonna dump them all on the market and make millions!!!

Right..... Wasn't poor Larry driving a bus shortly before he passed away??

I'm sure he WISHED he had those barrels...

He led a tough life. But, managed to find simple joy in marbles...

The very concept that he could market a new idea and maybe make some money off it, sure pissed some people off....

The sky is NOT falling..... Yet. ;)

Granted there's contentiousness aplenty but depending on the various facets of marble activities you're involved in you can just as easily let it roll off you. Now I will grant that at times the Chat Boards seem to be populated with the formerly institutionalized who are being monitored for their ability to maintain and possible reentry to society; at least let out on the street. Maybe the best thing is to just steer clear of them. I don't always follow my own advice! David

Oh Please, as a newbie I don't need anybody feeling sad for me. I can feel sad enough for myself if I need to. And I don't need to!

The only thing all this contentousness and lack of humor does is make me more cautious and take the time to learn more about my passion before I jump in. I am also giving more thought to what I really want to collect. Not who's opinion I want to collect.

Wait a minute here people, I make marbles and I am collecting too - it's ALL good!!!!!

Why can't the attitudes be friendship and fun for all involved without personal bias getting in the way.

I am happy and willing to help the vintage collectors learn about contemporaries and, so far, you ALL have taken me into the fold of vintage collecting!!!!!

It' fun and I am learning a lot!!!!!

The one thing I do know about newbies and the marble chat boards over the years is that they do not want to get involved in the crap that goes on. They then either just lurk and, hopefully, learn a little bit about the identification of marbles, marble history and the joy of collection, OR they just go away. The former is kind of okay but they don't ask questions (for fear of being dumped on) and the latter is a tragedy because there are very few venues where a newbie can learn about marble collecting. It has been this way the 11 years or so since I've been on the boards. It takes a strong individual to get involved and try to learn from the boards.

The one thing I do know about newbies and the marble chat boards over the years is that they do not want to get involved in the crap that goes on. They then either just lurk and, hopefully, learn a little bit about the identification of marbles, marble history and the joy of collection, OR they just go away. The former is kind of okay but they don't ask questions (for fear of being dumped on) and the latter is a tragedy because there are very few venues where a newbie can learn about marble collecting. It has been this way the 11 years or so since I've been on the boards. It takes a strong individual to get involved and try to learn from the boards.

agree all the way al. certain things concerning marbles needs to be brought forth .. for sure, but ALL these personality conflicts NEED to go elsewhere ... how about p.m's or ... out in the street. hell, there's more .. yakin .. going on than showing pics of what all of us are " supposed" to interested in. like this ..... bill

Definition of marble venture:

Standing on a hill of mud in the rain with your feet sunk in so deep you cant move finding 90% white peewees but still loving it. Then a buckskin rolls out only top see that is has a huge flat side.

Marble venture. And then the bananas... :cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262::cool-smileys-262: