Vitro Superiors

Steph

I need to learn more about Vitro Superiors. They don't seem like they should be too hard but I'm kinda cautious with Vitro names for some reason. Here's the "textbook" photo, where the "textbook" is Chuck B.'s article in the WVMCC newsletter about older Vitros. The article is now hosted at Joemarbles.com: OLDER VITRO MARBLES (TRI-LITES)

gallery_279_159_7988.jpg

Would love to see more pix of Superiors to get a better feel for how much they can vary. Thanks!

(Would also like to see the range of variation of the other styles mentioned in that article, but will wait for another thread for that.)

I think there a couple here...too? (plus a nice buttermilk)

Sweet Vitros, Pop! I'm liking the buttermilk too. Not sure about Superiors though . . . red ribbons surrounding a yellow patch is what's called for - I think.

You might say I'm slow but I'm sloppy.I read all that info last nite and still got it wrong.This marble stuff is hard!These Superiors must be pretty rare,here's the only one I could find.Two red bands surrounding a yellow patch.

post-1768-127445640005_thumb.jpg

post-1768-127445641217_thumb.jpg

post-1768-127445642623_thumb.jpg

Hey Orbboy or anyone else that can answer this -probably everyone but me- What is the marble in your avatar it is amazing? I should know I am sure but I do not have a clue and have taken the identification books back to the library.

Thanks

Pen

Cool spermatozoan-shaped contaminant on that marble, Orbboy. Although Vitro is not one of my stronger suits, I'd say it's a Trilite. But it's lacking a red ribbon on one side of the yellow patch, so I wouldn't put it with my Superiors.

Here's a Superior with a little swirling action, which makes this otherwise bland example a bit more interesting.

2154147810104684377S425x425Q85.jpg

How about it now. 2 min in Photoshop and it's a whole new marble now lol. I had many different vibes about the one I posted. It was deemed Vitro when I posted for I.D and called an opaque Superior type.

post-218-127516413861_thumb.jpg

NOW that's a superior. LOL :P

The photoshop did the trick! :rolleye-842:

Chuck seems pretty definite about the yellow patch being surrounded by red ribbons on both sides. We shared a couple of emails about them and I'm pretty sure he stood firm on that. I should go doublecheck his exact wording. He named them so I have to go with what he says there.

Here's what he said. I think he'd be okay with me posting it. I should ask, huh? LOL. No, he's said before that it's okay:

Superiors are very consistent in design which is somewhat unusual for early Vitros. The key is the top patch – it is ALWAYS that unique yellow-orange with the very bold & bright half & half red ribbon around it. That design absolutely stands out and anyone who sees them once has no problem identifying them later. The large Superiors (¾” or slightly smaller) have an irregular patch on the other pole which is red-brown, green or blue (blue is usually opaque & the other colors are usually transparent). They are absolutely great marbles. I’ve never seen any other colors on the bottom pole of the large Superiors. The 5/8’ Superiors are identical with the top patch & ribbon. The colors on the bottom pole range from red variations, green variations, blue variations, purple, near black, oxblood-like, yellow and sometimes two colors. Weaker examples have minimal patching on the bottom or are clear or bland white. Quality is essential – bolder & brighter is better, bland is bad. Superiors are not hard to ID, the others some incorrectly call Superiors are usually just Tri-lites.