Marbles Which Exist But Are Rarely Id-Ed . . .

Steph

It just dawned on me that I don't recall ever seeing a marble ID-ed as an Akro Cornelian on the boards. Thought it might be fun to see some of the more obscure mibs folks have.

Cornelians or otherwise.

:huh:

p.s. here's what Akro said about their Cornelians in 1926, seems like a pretty good pic

1926_Akro_CardinalReds_Cornelian-2.jpg

(click to enlarge)

I have just expanded the ad for the Akro Cardinal Reds & Cornelians in this thread. I really enjoyed the colorful and flowing descriptions the copywriter used in the ad that was probably written in 1930 or so. I thought it was good honest hype that was ahead of it's time. The only missing element was sex and a puppy. In another area of this board folks have just started discussing the marketing, selling and value of some marbles. Great copy and a good picture can do a lot to increase the value. I believe that in thirty to fifty years from now folks will be looking at some modern production and saying something about marbles that exist but are rarely ID-ed.

Thanks Dan. The Akro box pic in the ad looks almost real enough to pick up, but I doubt I would recognize a Cornelian in hand.

Is yours noticeably translucent?

It is opaque. I have seen them range in color from red to dark burgandy with white or yellow swirls. All of the ones I have seen were in the 3/4" range in size.

corn-1.jpg

thanks.

I had a cornelian, but sold it long ago. It was confirmed by Les Jones. In his own words, they weren't very attractive (I agree) as they were an opaque red and very plain. I think many are confused by the similarity in spelling with carnelian.