Ot: Anyone Know About Coins?

Steph

Is this person's coins fake like their benningtons are?

A lot of the coins they sell are billed as errors. Got me wondering if they were real errors or somehow doctored. I have no idea whatsoever what would be involved in that kind of fakery and am not making accusations about these particular coins. I just wonder ......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250777312438

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250777307927

fwiw: they have been given negative feedback in the past for using chemicals to artificially tone authentic old coins.

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=youhave2bid2win&Dirn=Received+by

Everything about this seller sends me running the other way.

I couldn't buy those Benningtons......

I sure wouldn't buy the coins.

Even the 'Private' feedback is a turn-off.

Steph says:

they have been given negative feedback in the past for using chemicals to artificially tone authentic old coins

Click. I'm done.

as much as i hate this creedent lower than life moron, i cant believe im defending them, but the error is a common one and yes its legit

coin errors, there are people out there that buy up rolls of coins to find these errors to resell, it can be profitable if you have the patience and a good close up camera,all you do when done checking the rolls is send them back to the bank, your not out anything, ebay its a wonderful thing right,, lololol,, you can sell anything on ebay, ive followed this rule for a long time,, stupid shit sells,, dont know why, it just does,, lol,, bj

Which benningtons?

Any benningtons they're selling, assume they're fake.

They've been improving their art over the last few years. Two years ago we noticed they seemed to be dabbling with a lined china type of marble. Looks like they're still working on that.

(This is the person who brought us the eagle bennies in 2007.)

th_post-279-1202609539.jpg

I have a problem with some of the so called doubling. Although in hand would be needed to tell for sure, On a real doubles date the upper date is always the full size it would be if not doubled. Some of these appear as if some of the Date has been pushed off to make the so called doubling.Therefor changing the shape of the upper date. This is actually on of the easier fakes. Easier than adding mintmarks. This is just my opinion and I would need to have the coins in hand to be positive.

This is perhaps only semi-relevant... some years ago, I opened a roll of quarters from the bank and found one (dated 1983) with huge bubbles in the metal, opposite each other on the front and reverse. (see back of Washington's neck, and eagle's left wing in the photos) For what it's worth, you can see that the coin also has dark staining on it, from an unknown source. A couple years ago I showed it to a coin dealer in NH and he produced a similar coin (1970s) that a customer wanted graded and slabbed by PCGS. Some months later I visited the dealer again and he said that the company had declined to grade or slab the coin, stating that they were uncertain of its authenticity. As they are one of the top two grading outfits in the country, I am unsure how to interpret this. Can they really not be sure if the coin is genuine? Or perhaps PCGS had a pretty good idea the coin was fishy but decided the easiest way to deal with it was to simply send it back and avoid getting involved? I still don't know the story on my quarter; but I have measured it, weighed it, felt it and smelt it, and the darn coin just seems like the real thing. It remains a mystery how the copper-nickel layers could have separated out like that, not to mention the quarter continuing go through the production machinery!

Mint equipment has been changed during the past 20 years and it is much harder for error coins to be produced; and if they have, to find their way into circulation. Someone with decades of coin experience told me that he knows of even small denomination coins having been counterfeited -- nickles, dimes, quarters-- very possibly in Asia. And now that silver is hitting high prices, Morgan silver dollars from the 1800s are being faked (China is specifically suspected) -- often with the coveted Carson City mintmark (CC). They are base metal plated with silver. The diameter is off (38.1 mm on the real thing) and it does not ring like a real silver dollar when dropped onto a tabletop. Just joined the site today... sort of amusing that my first post is about coins, not marbles! :)

post-2982-129926275521_thumb.jpg

post-2982-129926287993_thumb.jpg