Super Twist Single Ribbon Swirl

Has anyone ever seen a single ribbon marble like this? instead of the standard single ribbon, this one has a clear core and the ribbon twist like a tunnel around that core over 10 times.

The marble is quite large, just over 1-1/4" and has a highly facetted pontil.

Here are some pics:

post-92-130079920349_thumb.jpg

post-92-130079921648_thumb.jpg

post-92-130079923561_thumb.jpg

post-92-1300799250_thumb.jpg

post-92-130079926729_thumb.jpg

post-92-13007992838_thumb.jpg

I have made a marble with different colors that looks similar to that one - it sold at the Las Vegas show.

This one is an antique for sure, made around 1860 judging by the pontil mark. Can you tell me how they made this? I have no idea! and I'd love to see pics of the one you made!

If you start with a clear ball core, flatten it into a disk, have the colors that you want twisted already made to apply on the disk. Swipe the colors only 3/4 of the diameter but make it off center, say 1/4" to the right. Have a ball of clear hot and mash it on top of the disk making the other side of the marble. Round it out into a ball again.

Now, punty up at the top, removing the punty that held the disk and melt it in. Punty up the bottom 180 degrees from the punty on the top. Let the punties get a bit cool while you heat the center circumference so the heat gets into the center of the marble with a very thin flame.

Take the marble out of the flame and slowly twist one punty clockwise, the other counter clockwise and try to get an even looking spiral inside. Move your heat to the right of center keeping the twist even then move to the left, again keeping the twist even.

Burn off one punty so it leave a little puntil mark, round 5/8 of the marble. Make a cold punty attachment and burn off the other punty again leaving a pontil mark.

Put it into the kiln to soak for at least and hour to anneal. Take 7 1/2 hours to cool to 400 degrees F and open the kiln to cool to room temperature.

Here are 2 that are kinda similar but I try not to create the exact same thing the old marble makers did. Also, if you don't want the color to go evenly, apply it just short of being even and the color ribbons won't go all the way to the top like in your marble.

post-2583-130089058352_thumb.jpg

post-2583-13008905902_thumb.jpg

If you start with a clear ball core, flatten it into a disk, have the colors that you want twisted already made to apply on the disk. Swipe the colors only 3/4 of the diameter but make it off center, say 1/4" to the right. Have a ball of clear hot and mash it on top of the disk making the other side of the marble. Round it out into a ball again.

Now, punty up at the top, removing the punty that held the disk and melt it in. Punty up the bottom 180 degrees from the punty on the top. Let the punties get a bit cool while you heat the center circumference so the heat gets into the center of the marble with a very thin flame.

Take the marble out of the flame and slowly twist one punty clockwise, the other counter clockwise and try to get an even looking spiral inside. Move your heat to the right of center keeping the twist even then move to the left, again keeping the twist even.

Burn off one punty so it leave a little puntil mark, round 5/8 of the marble. Make a cold punty attachment and burn off the other punty again leaving a pontil mark.

Put it into the kiln to soak for at least and hour to anneal. Take 7 1/2 hours to cool to 400 degrees F and open the kiln to cool to room temperature.

Here are 2 that are kinda similar but I try not to create the exact same thing the old marble makers did. Also, if you don't want the color to go evenly, apply it just short of being even and the color ribbons won't go all the way to the top like in your marble.

Thanks a lot for your elaborate description!