Marble King Boxes

wvrons

Three original Marble King box sets. All with different companies marbles. But all three have a definate connection. All three companies have a definate connection to one marble plant site. You will also see this same box except it may have CHAMPION printed on it in place of MARBLE KING.

post-91-130306449468_thumb.jpg

post-91-130306454692_thumb.jpg

post-91-130306457909_thumb.jpg

Sweet collection. Not sure I remember seeing one with Alley's in it before. But I kinda think maybe ....

Here are a couple with the Champion label:

(click to enlarge)

th_BerryPink_Joeager.jpg

Here's a Champion with the same boy, with Peltier on the side:

(click)

th_ChampionMarbles_Peltier_No16.jpg

Some thoughts that i have heard around these. The boxes with Champion were first designed for or by Peltier. Alley sold everything at St.Marys 6-1-1949 to Berry Pink and Sellers Peltier. Peltier Co. wanted to get away from the Champion name because of Champion Agate in WV. The St.Marys marble plant became Marble King. So whatver the reason,maybe slow start up,etc. The box was changed to the new Marble King. They were filled with remaining Alley stock,Peltier stock,and then Marble Kings. I have not seen hundreds,but all this type box that i have seen,all contained only one companies marbles. I have never seen the three companies mixed in one of these boxes. Marble King was very precise with packaging,at least in the early years. I opened a original full case of Nestle Quick MK bags. Every single bag had the same exact number of each color marble in each single bag. Every bag in the entire case was identical.

No kidding. They wouldn't want to be doing free advertising for Champion, would they?

The boxes being promoted by Berry Pink appear to have said Champion as late as 1939. However, a 1940-ish flyer suggests they might have said Marble King by 1940. (Not conclusive but possibly)

Here's a clip from a 1939 article with Champion boxes.

(click)

th_1939_07_25_p32_clip.jpg

But this is from a price list for late 1940 or early 1941. Mesh bags for sure said Marble King by then. Looks like maybe some boxes did also. Do your boxes have a number on them? What would a #25 Marble King box look like?

1940_or_1941_600px.jpg

(click for a little larger copy)

oh cool!

Wonder if it was remotely possible that it's original. How many marbles would fit in that box? I still wonder if Pink ever brokered any deals between Rosenthal and Alley. And supposedly there was a 100-count box from Rosenthal. Is that it?

That 1940(ish) flyer had a pic with a bag with the same design. I have a bigger version than this if someone needs more detail.

(might need to double click for full size)

th_BerryPinkInc260pct.jpg

I had mentioned some years ago that it appeared that Berry Pink used the Marble King name well prior to the founding of Marble King Co. in 1949. From pic above with Berry Pink and the boxers showing the Marble King Mesh bags, that pretty much confirms it. So, we wondered why Marble King had mesh bags when they started (and maybe they did still have some) but it looks like we are breaking those Marble King mesh bags into two categories - Jobber bags (by Berry Pink) and MK Company bags. That also explains anothe connection of Berry Pink jobbering Peltier marbles in those bags with Marble king name. After all, he was the "Marble King". And, appropriately so, named the new company after his nickname. By the way Steph, does the larger detail pic you have give any clue as to the type of marbles in the mesh bags?

Even earlier

1938_03_31_MKRippled_GettysburgPA_b.jpg

I wish we still got goodies like this....what ever happened to the good ol' days? I wanna get some marbles with my Quaker Oats!!!!!!!!cool-smileys-262.gif I sold a promo of MK cateyes that came on top of a Jiffy Peanut Butter Jar...wish I still had it....

More answers and more questions. Marble King bags in two catagories,jobber bags and actual MK bags. How do we know which one is what ? Al, do you have or have seen one of the 100 count MK challenger bags from 1940 ?

I just went through some pix George Sourlis sent. They're on paper so I can't post them at this time, but one shows a Champion box with the No. 25 label on the top. From Berry Pink, Inc. The design is a little different from the ones above. One difference is the box top has a decorative border. Looks about the same size though. So I'll guess that's what Pink would have designated most of the boxes in this thread: #25.

I was searching George's pix because I thought he sent me a copy of a 1953 MK ad. I hoped to confirm that it looked pretty much like the 1954 MK ad shown on p. 105 of AMMM. I think it did. Anyway, the 1954 ad has plastic bags. Not sure if it's a photo or a drawing but the marbles look like swirls. FTR and FWIW.

Ron - I have not seen any pictures of any Challenger mesh bags. I do have a pic of a Challenger polybag of 100 but just the backside - not sure where from. It could have MK on the other side of the header since it is the checkerboard style but it also could say glass marbles or....? Here's the pic.

post-60-130323504118_thumb.jpg