Akro Tin 200 Vs 150

What's the difference in these two original packages. in all the books I have it pictures two trays on either side with a tray in the center containing a bag. The only problem is my tin is too small for that configuration. Did Akro use smaller sized mibs in this tin? My books shows 5 marbles in from each side and 6 mibs from top to bottom with the top and bottom row with slightly larger mibs. The tin I have only holds 5 5/8" mibs from top to bottom. Can someone help me out with this? How is the Akro 150 tin supposed to be packaged. I want to rebuild mine.

George Sourlis has a poster showing Akro packaging from 1911 to 1930. You can order that from him.

At first glance, photos I'm seeing show six columns of 5 plus one column of 4 in the #150 package. And in the #200 package, twice as many marbles: six rows of 5 plus one row of 4 on either side of the bag.

What's the difference in these two original packages. in all the books I have it pictures two trays on either side with a tray in the center containing a bag. The only problem is my tin is too small for that configuration. Did Akro use smaller sized mibs in this tin? My books shows 5 marbles in from each side and 6 mibs from top to bottom with the top and bottom row with slightly larger mibs. The tin I have only holds 5 5/8" mibs from top to bottom. Can someone help me out with this? How is the Akro 150 tin supposed to be packaged. I want to rebuild mine.

Why are you even looking at tins illustrated in books for an idea of what an original should look like?

You have no assurance that what's pictured is original.

Better to find an Akro ad that illustrates the 150 tin.

You may be able to find an ad in Steph's Study Hall.

Why are you even looking at tins illustrated in books for an idea of what an original should look like?

You have no assurance that what's pictured is original.

Better to find an Akro ad that illustrates the 150 tin.

You may be able to find an ad in Steph's Study Hall.

OK, Steph beat me to an answer. So I had to find the ad for you.

see if this works:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/modularforms/Akro/AkroAgateCatalog2of4.jpg

p.s.,

I just noticed some discrepancies between the pictures and the descriptions within the ads. :confused-smileys-17:

I'm going to attribute that partly to ad writer carelessness and partly to Akro possibly changing up the contents of the tins.

p.s.,

I just noticed some discrepancies between the pictures and the descriptions within the ads. :confused-smileys-17:

I'm going to attribute that partly to ad writer carelessness and partly to Akro possibly changing up the contents of the tins.

Just goes to show, perhaps even company ads are an unreliable source for what the original contents should be.

Here are a few examples to give you idea of how to do your tin from my collection - the bags are really hard to find this size. Hope this helps. The first has original bag and original white corks- for old timers Bob Frede pulled the oxblood lemonade shooters that were in it and sold me tin- I replaced with lemondae cork shooters.

Don

MVC-005S-3.jpg

MVC-009S-3.jpg

MVC-012S-3.jpg

What is rally hard to find is an original tin with the metal tab corners on the inserts like on the early 100 count boxes. I have a 150 original tin with the small black bag tha has a waffle-like surface and the metal corner tabs on the inserts that I got at New Phila about 15 years ago. My guess is that the inserts with metal tabs went in the earliest of the 150 tins. I've never seen one of the 200 tins with metal corners on the inserts but if they're on the 150's they might also be on the 200's. Art

here is a pamphlet I have it is on a yellow off white paper it is also printed with blue ink not black I think it is a reprint as it was just give to me by a fellow box collector . will see if I can put in th epictuires at a large size , as there are four the front cover the two inside pages and the back cover . Mike

post-94-131041302063_thumb.jpg

post-94-131041302934_thumb.jpg

post-94-131041311568_thumb.jpg

post-94-131041317062_thumb.jpg

I kinda remember a Big Time Marbles box being posted here. I think someone might have been asking if it was a fake.

Heck, it might have been me asking! But so far I've come up empty on my searches for it. Not sure which keywords to use.

Galen: Here are some pics of the 150 tin with the metal tab corners. It's a really clean tin and tthe latch isn't even split. I have no reason to believe that it's anything other than original. I bought it at New Phila back in the early 90's. I've only seen one other with metal corners. Art

post-118-13104371403_thumb.jpg

post-118-131043695585_thumb.jpg

post-118-131043696262_thumb.jpg

Found the Big Time Marbles auction pix I had saved. This box didn't have the original marbles in it. Looks like the difference between the # 115-20 and the # 115-15 might just have been which side they put the marbles in and which side held the bag. (maybe?) Here are all the pix I saved in case you like to see edges.

(click to enlarge)

th_BigTimeMarbles_a.jpg . . th_BigTimeMarbles_e.jpg . . th_BigTimeMarbles_b.jpg

th_BigTimeMarbles_c.jpg . . th_BigTimeMarbles_d.jpg . . th_BigTimeMarbles_f.jpg