Also Any One Have Any Pics Of Some Vitro Yellow Jackets

mmuehlba

I agree with Mark. Here are a couple of pictures of Yellowjackets (one by Patry and one by duffy). There has been some discussion of other Vitros with yellow in them being Yellowjackets and with the variety of Vitro odd patterns, some might be. It is kind of like All Reds advertised by Vitro as marbles having red in them. Or Blackies having black in them. There are lots of Vitro marbles with yellow that are not yellowjackets.

post-60-0-95945300-1330279875_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-59736600-1330279887_thumb.jpg

Stacy, one of the things I like best about Vitro is the attitudes of the men who thought I was a nut because in 1992 I was searching for Vitro along with Akro, Peltier, etc. At that time, "real collectors" didn't look twice at Vitro. The guys saved them for me and when they came to Texas they gave me Vitros. They were considered worthless. I just kept saying "thank you". I bet now some of those guys would like to have them back. It took me a while to collect enough that I could see more colors in one marble than I saw in Akro or Peltier. And not just more colors in one marble, but MORE COLORS period, MORE VARIETY too. I love Vitro.

I can really relate to what you're saying Edna!

As a textile historian who studies schoolgirl needlework and samplers, I am very familiar with the way in which men can sometimes be "late to the party" in appreciation of art. A few decades ago, a very prestigious museum nearly threw away an enormous collection of 17th and 18th century samplers because they were thought to be unworthy of storage. Now that same institution has this collection ( worth in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) under lock and key.

Men seem to be (by nature and socialization) slightly more keyed in to dollar or resale value whereas women seem to be a bit more free to say "it's beautiful, I love it, that makes it valuable".

I mean no disrespect to the men on this board - just commenting on the sometimes different gender-based viewpoints in the art world.

When I began my collection with a huge tin of 100's of marbles found in my in-laws basement, it was the two Vitro fancy tiger-eyes that captured my attention most of all and I am still smitten.

Stacy

Part of joining a club ("marble collectors") is fitting in, at least for me. That means imitating to fit in and to learn. So I caught on immediately that Akro and CAC were hot. When I dug through my first lot, it contained several minty Vitro black lines with gorgeously vivid colors. My eye was pleased, but my brain intruded like a nagging step-mother, "But those aren't CAC or Akro. What's more, they're not that old."

I remember when I found my first Popeye, I felt I had arrived. It was like a merit badge. But I was not all that excited about the marble itself. My excitement had more to do with its present monetary value and its scarcity, rather than its aesthetic qualities.

Now I've matured and learned that while scarce might mean valuable, it doesn't necessarily mean beautiful. To really collect what you enjoy you sort of have to not care what others think and become like a child, who knows nothing of the value or the history, and just enjoy them for what they are. Your eye will grow keen and the nagging step mother won't interfere with you anymore.

So yeah, I've got some nice Popeyes I'd be happy to trade at the next marble show for Vitros...oh wait, hardly anyone brings Vitros to the marble shows... ;)