Double-Header

Ric

I picked up a nice Champion poly bag at the Iowa show. As you can see, it had two headers applied. I carefully opened the outer staples so I could get a look at the bottom label . . .

2633040690104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

. . . not too surprising. :)

2671142710104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

The headers don't look the right size for the bags. Could they be some that the hardy's bagged up from their purchase of the warehouse of marbles in Pennsboro? I bought some bags from them in the 1990's that look like that. There were headers and bags galore in that storage place and the hardy's packaged up a bunch. A lot of them were Champion marbles.

I have no doubt that this bag is old. Champion filled a lot of Penny King poly bags. I have a couple of the 20-count bags but had not seen a 40-count like this before. I think Champion probably labeled too many bags for a Penny King order, or came up with too many in some other way, and just put their own header over the first label for another customer.

Neat bag - original for sure. I don't have any Penny King bags larger than 20 count. Also, a side note - that is the first (real) Champion header that I have seen without a count number on one of the sides of the header. Must be some out there but I don't have any in the 25-30 different Champion bags that I have, plus pics of others.

The bags and headers were old in that warehouse. I've never seen headers that weren't big enough for the old polybags except those the Hardy'sl recovered in that warehouse. By the way, the marbles they recovered were old too. And they bagged them.

The Penny King Labels were not in that find And I do not believe the original bags were either. About 99% sure about that. And if the bags were found with the headers wouldn't that mean that is how they were sized originally. And as Al stated these are different labels than the ones from the warehouse find. Guess we will have to agree to disagree but that bag looks 100% original to me.