Blue Green Transitional

Guest browse4antiques

I have one (also 1"+) that is blue and turquoise, but not nearly that nice - that one is a real gem. ... Roger

Guest browse4antiques

In my experience, only about 1 in 10-15 of these big ones will have a nice strong pattern like that. I don't think there were any actual 2-color productions. I believe that those two colors are what was generally mixed together to form their aqua - so excellent "hybrid" IMO. The white based ones (particularly other than small red) will often have a band of clear or translucent striping running along with the color stripe, and when the color blends with it, there can be the appearance of 2 different shades (not the case with yours) ... Roger

Yes actually i was thinking of a kind of error "hybrid",because i've found so many of the opaque ones here but not with 2 colors.

I've found one other opaque one here with 2 colors red/blue,years ago you IDed that one as German,and the first marble seems to be Japanese.

Here it is,maybe you remember it,it's 15/16.

regularLarge_zpse7362cda.jpg

Guest browse4antiques

I don't actually remember seeing that one, but the "pontil" really looks a lot like it is a European transitional. It seems to be more like a regular pontil, but with a straight line embedded in it. I've seen that several times on European transitionals. Also, the way the little spidering indentations are toward the ends of the cutoff mark, and lead away parallel to it is what is often seen on European ones. The Japanese ones will usually have those spidery indentations leading away perpendicularly from the cutoff (maybe I'm getting into too much detail :) ). European ones usually have some striping glass "emerging" circularly from the cutoff, and this one has none. With the colors, and size, its not like anything that I have seen before.
I don't know if you've seen this one before - it has a translucent stripe along with the blue that has picked up some of the color and looks like a lighter shade of blue, and of course, the red is what is referred to as "oxblood", but is quite different than the conventional oxblood (its 1"). [for some reason my pics are not showing up properly - it is making the marble look out of round, which it is not]... Roger

ox-pinch.jpg