Odd Ball Or Normal Divided Core ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be very curious to hear if you can take a reworked marble and tell if it was ground/polished or reheated. Mainly a pontil thing? What if someone got sneaky and after reheating fudged new pontil marks somehow? Just curious, since I've only seen polished work and not reheated . . . although I have a great candidate for a reheating, if I could overcome my innate reluctance to alter a marble. But I believe I may be getting there.

Ann,

As you have seen from some of the marbles I have conserved, if the marble is really messed up to start with and a little reworking brings it back to its beauty, why not do it. You then have a piece of beautiful artwork to fondle in your hands or put in a window sill. I am getting ready to do some more truly bad marbles I will post before and after images and put it up for a vote. I bet you a nice marble......... that reworked will get the most votes for being better.

All my best ........... Danny

Attached are images of a large German marble bead I reworked for a friend, I assure you that he much prefers the reworked bead and so do I.

P.S. No heat used

post-3509-0-82543700-1378422711_thumb.jp

Wow. No heat? That's amazing.

Yea, I'm about 90% there, Danny. It's an old German I bought because there was no way I could afford one like it in mint (or anywhere near mint) condition and I wanted one of that type very, very much . . . I've been thinking of the reheating road simply because on my candidate there are very fine yellow "latticinio" lines very close to the (chipped & scratched) surface, and I've been fretting over losing them with polishing . . .

Maybe I should just send it to you and you can tell me what would be the likely outcome once you've seen the surface?

Not takin' your bet. I think I might lose.

Wow. No heat? That's amazing.

Yea, I'm about 90% there, Danny. It's an old German I bought because there was no way I could afford one like it in mint (or anywhere near mint) condition and I wanted one of that type very, very much . . . I've been thinking of the reheating road simply because on my candidate there are very fine yellow "latticinio" lines very close to the (chipped & scratched) surface, and I've been fretting over losing them with polishing . . .

Maybe I should just send it to you and you can tell me what would be the likely outcome once you've seen the surface?

Not takin' your bet. I think I might lose.

Ann,

You can send it out and I will take a look, if I think it won't work you can always go the heat route. I have found on most badly damaged marbles as long as there is still clear glass over the threads they will balance out. Sometimes I have to leave a few minor chips so I do not cut into the color on the poles.

You can send me good images via email and I can give you my opinion, make sure you give me six sides.

All my best ..... Danny