A Little Pelt Help Please.

jeeperman

So these two marbles have at times been referred to as a Dragon. My thought is the one on the left would be a Dragon/flaming Dragon. Where I have a question is....the marble on the right has transparent red. Does the trans red make the cut, would one call it the same thing? Is it just a nice NLR or is there another name?i-Gc7Zj68-X3.jpg

Jeeper, gotta go pelt on both marbles. The "Dragon" has an opaque green base with red opaque ribbons, but if the ribbons blend or contain both colors of reddish/orangish/yellowish it becomes a "Flaming Dragon" The other marble does have a name (IF) it contains (ONE) ribbon of white opaque glass???? in between the red transparent ribbons being called the "Dragons Eye". No name for the one you have unless its the one i mentioned above. Most pelt collectors call these marbles this!! Chuck G--

It's a nice color combo!

If it turns out there's no proper established name for this

one, I'd personally want to call it a 'Ruby Dragon'.

Kind of in the same way the transparent red defines a Ruby Bee.

Here's what Alan has to say about them....

NATIONAL LINE RAINBOS

Among Peltier's most popular marbles are the National Line Rainbos, which were produced as early as the late 1920s and up to the late 1930s. All National Line Rainbos will exhibit two seams, which differentiates them from the earlier Miller swirls. Most have an opaque base, though some are semi-opaque or translucent. The design will consist of "ribbons" of opaque to transparent color. There will be one or more colors represented on the ribbons, and usually there will be four or six ribbons present. Rarely, the ribbons will have aventurine glass in them, usually in black ribbons but also present on extremely rare occasions in blue or red ribbons. Aventurine is a type of glass with finely ground particles of copper (golden), chromic oxide (green), or ferric oxide (red), which causes it to sparkle under illumination, especially direct sunlight.

Dragon (light green with red ribbons)

Flaming Dragon (light green with red and yellow ribbons---usually the colors are blended to create a more orange effect)

Jeeper, threads like this is where we all learn a lot with great discussions on them. I can tell you this from all the years of collecting pelts that there are many many varients of peltier "Dragons". I love seeing the names associated with the marbles in themselves being in the same family but maintaining the overall prominant name sake. Per say for those who want to know: "Dragons", "Flaming Dragons", "Dragons Eye", "Sun Dragon", "Dragon Melon". These are a few that i know of so far. I like your term of the "Ruby Dragon" and it fits the criteria of the Dragon family. It is a different run they made with transparent red glass. Now a few members might chime in and some agree but others may not so keep an open mind at the possibilities. Chuck G--

Jeeper, thinking about the discussions on the board, that i forgot one more pelt "Dragon" type that is called the "Golden Dragon". Its a half and half bi-fracate family type that has the base glass half gold yellow color and the other half the dragon green color with the reddish/coral colored ribbons on it. This type can be found with a little looking. Chuck G--

Jeeper, i will have to go back in my file to find examples in my photos for you. Here is one we call the "Sun Dragons". This is one that was discussed on another board and some have mixed feelings on this one. Ok, that being said, the base glass is the normal dragon green but the ribbons are seperated from each other and not a blend or colors sumwhat togather like the "Flaming Dragon". The reddish/yellowish are completely seperated from one another. Yes, agreed in the "Dragon" family but warrents a neat name by its total different make-up. Some say i get a little to far out in left field to catch the ball but one day all this will come togather and be shown and proved by me with great examples. I will be working on some projects this upcoming year towards some great information to share with others. Some dissagrements may arise, so well warrented opinions and thoughts from others is truly welcome and i will always learn from others ideas. Chuck G--

post-2867-0-20601200-1386615385_thumb.jp

I do appreciate the constant reaffirming from you Pelt collectors how happy I am that the CAC collectors never went to some kind of crazy wackadoodle naming game. Although I really am OK in my brain that you Pelt guys need it and have fun with It.(LOL) :rolleyes:

Galen W. Wilcox: Founding member of NHA