Do It Yourself Marble Calendar

Steph

Hansel,i enjoy the nice marbles and marble related items very much,that buckle is soo sweet.

Here're a mix of oldies.

I was just thinking,maybe it's a bit strange but i can't make uo my mind,which marbles do have my preference.

I quess i do not have a distinct taste,which marbles concerned LOL.

mixLarge_zps566361c5.jpg

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You actually enjoy all of this motley crew?

Clearly someone so lacking in prejudices or bias needs 'help' now.

We're all here for you, Winnie! :lol:

Winnie doesn't need help.

She's a Zen Master!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.”

Alan Wilson Watts

Probably the rarest marble in my collection, a large 1-3/8" beachball Indian Lutz.

Very, very nice JVV. Is the red and blue glass on the surface, or is it covered with a thin layer of clear glass?

Agree with Jeroen P.. It deserves a better photo. Better make it a 1/2 dozen photos, to display the entire marble!

Hi Jeroen,

A beautiful marble! Try to make a new photo from a larger distance. The marble is now out of focus, and not sharp. This marble deserve a better photo! :)

The sun is shining here, so probably at your house too. Great conditions for good photos!

OK, good idea! Here it's raining all the time...

Very, very nice JVV. Is the red and blue glass on the surface, or is it covered with a thin layer of clear glass?

Agree with Jeroen P.. It deserves a better photo. Better make it a 1/2 dozen photos, to display the entire marble!

It's covered in a thin layer of clear glass. It has an Indian like black base, then the lutz and blue and red bands and then clear glass. Same construcion as a black based opaque handed lutz.

Amazing how many original boxes there still are left. I have never seen an old marble box here in the Netherlands.

There may be many old original boxes here, probably because we had several marble companies in the USA that produced millions of marbles, many of which were sold to individuals in small boxes.

But some are quite rare - even one of a kind. What kind of marbles were sold in Holland during the first few decades of the machine made marble?

We were playing in the 50's in Amsterdam with:clays--handmades--cat'seyes--Vitro victory and transitionals the opaques and transparant ones.

Maybe there were more type's that i can't remember,oh there were some swirls but don't know were they have been made.

We were playing in the 50's in Amsterdam with:clays--handmades--cat'seyes--Vitro victory and transitionals the opaques and transparant ones.

Maybe there were more type's that i can't remember,oh there were some swirls but don't know were they have been made.

Winnie, in the decades before you were born, kids in the USA were sometimes given boxes of marbles as gifts or for good behavior in school. Some treasured their presents so much that they did not play with the marbles and the boxes survived. For example:

PeltboxesHighresolution010_zpsf5f54122.jnear33peltdecobox004_zpsb2181b48.jpg

The inscription says:

To Le Roy, From Miss Larkin For perfect attendance for 1 term in school.

There are other boxes, mostly "stock boxes" of 25 to 100 marbles each, that were marked with the price of the marbles. e.g. 2 cents each, or 3 for 5 cents, etc.

These were probably left on the counter top in stores that sold marbles.

Some marbles were packaged in boxes for retail sale or to be given as advertisement and other marbles were sold by mail order, also contained in small boxes.

Many of these survived.

How were marbles sold in Holland, or Europe in general, and were they packaged as promotional items and given as gifts to children?

Thats a pity Jeroen your grandfather would have known.

Hansel,We didn't get those beautiful boxes for good behavior on school,a biblical picture was all we got.

In the 50's Netherlands was still very poor,caused by the war.

We got from family cheap Japanese toys and we got some old stock pre war beautiful German toys.

I can't remember if the marbles were sold in boxes,i don't think so.

The only packed marbles which i remember as a child were sold in crocheted bags,they had clearies or opaque marbles in them,

i think they were old stock left overs from Germany.

Here is such a bag.The clearies do have pontils

DSC07009Medium_zps8841581a.jpg

I can only remember marble bags. My grandfather had a small toyshop from 1933 to 1989. I never asked him about marbles. He died 10 years ago, but I was not collecting marbles then. Otherwise I would have asked him how marbles were sold.

Jeroen

Jeroen and Winnie,

Most our collectible boxes are from the 1920s and 1930s. Would not expect you, nor even your parents, to have first hand information.

Much of our information on marble packaging is obtained from advertisements in children's magazines and toy trade publications, and much is online.

Look here, for example:

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/10627-online-historical-resources-for-marble-research/

No reason you should not be able to find out how marbles were sold in Holland when your grandparents were children.

misc041_zps3c4a6eba.jpg

Probably made here:

[3] : Porzellanmanufaktur Dressel, Kister & Co. (1844 until 1863)

Dressel and Kister had more luck and finally got a concession for firewood supplies and started producing small items like pipe bowls, walking stick handles and dolls' heads. In 1847 the workforce had already increased to 148 people. Supplies were no problem as the kaolin and sand used came from the nearby Steinheid area. By 1857 the company was very well known as the first Thuringian factory which made figures on a larger scale, beginning with devotional items like madonnas and gravestone decorations and then figures in Rococo and Biedermeier styles. From 1860 onwards the product range was slowly enlarged with busts of famous poets and composers as well as animals and animal groups.

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/thuringia/scheibe-01/index.php