Do It Yourself Marble Calendar

Steph

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is an odd one, 1-1/2" game marble? made with mocha/agateware base. Came out of England years ago in a group of other plain large non glass marbles. Included was an evaluation/identification service dated 1982 from "CITY MUSUM AND GALLERY STOKE-ON-TRENT. stoneware childrens marbles with handpainted decoration probably staffardshire late 19th century. Thoughts?

Bill

post-173-0-59151900-1394891509_thumb.jpg

Here is an odd one, 1-1/2" game marble? made with mocha/agateware base. Came out of England years ago in a group of other plain large non glass marbles. Included was an evaluation/identification service dated 1982 from "CITY MUSUM AND GALLERY STOKE-ON-TRENT. stoneware childrens marbles with handpainted decoration . Thoughts?

Bill

Very nice. The evaluation/identification service probably got it right. Except they did not mention the agateware which may be a veneer. Their date and place of manufacture is probably based on the agateware. Any authority I've asked about these things usually say the same thing: "probably Staffordshire late 19th century" although it could well be earlier. Not much interest amongst ceramic historians on studying children's toys, unfortunately.

This article gives some information on agateware.

www.michelleericksonceramics.com/pdf/CiA2003_Erickson&Hunter.pdf‎

Score one for the "maybe that just means the packaging is made in France" crowd.

I hate when they say that about packaging marked "made in Japan" which I want to use as evidence that the marbles were made in Japan.

But ?????????

No not Dutch,it's not mine,saw it on ebay France.

Think the package is French,jouets means toys.

The text on the right side is also French.

I can imagine that Vitro has made marbles for the French market,but --produce of France--say to me ,that the origin is French,which is strange.

Many countries have different labeling laws regarding country of origin and whether it was assembled there, made there etc etc. French use the word Fabrique for made in a certain country. For instance Made in Poland would be Fabriqué en pologne. So this may simply mean the package of marbles is a product of France. In this case the package as a whole.

Hansel, Yes the largest of them is 1-1/2". Years ago I found two nice horizontals that were 3/4", With my love of big marbles I sold them and that was a mistake as I have found many more in the 1-1/2 range and almost never see the horizontals in the smaller sizes. That still seems odd to me as most marbles are much more difficult to find in larger sizes, and you see plenty of the small plain "navares". Maybe somebody has a hoard of the small horizontals and wants to trade up to bigger ones.:-)

Bill