Do It Yourself Marble Calendar

Steph

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hansel,i don't think i was reading to much in this subject,it was the transparant orange swirl that struck me,i think i've never seen it before and was curious about it,i think it's a beautiful marble.

I hope the tape was strong enough LOL.

I can, for the same reason many other boxes and bags do not mention the marbles manufacturer. They do not say manufactured by Albright. they say Albright marbles which to me means they purchased and resold not distributed for CAC. Which also explains why their labels are sometimes found glued on CAC boxes. with Christensen blacked out.

As for the Feidler comment. He was listed as plant manager on one old printed piece of paper I read. Maybe Allen read the same item?

I'd read about Fiedler being plant manager - not sure how reliable that information was - but it's not surprising, as Fiedler was a highly paid employee at Peltier and probably took glass production secrets with him to CAC. Still, that doesn't make him "head of the company".

It's tempting to speculate that there was much more interaction between Gropper, Albright and CAC than we currently appreciate.

Albright clays are found in Gropper's 'Favorite' boxes, along with CAC glass marbles.

Public records of companies and their owners do not reveal manufacturing details nor product transactions. For example, we would never have known about Gropper's influence on marble production of the Peltier Glass Co. if all we had to go by was the 'public record'.

When the history of the US toy marble industry is finally sorted out, I bet Albright and Gropper will be shown to have had a much greater influence than what we currently give them credit for.

When the history of the US toy marble industry is finally sorted out, I bet Albright and Gropper will be shown to have had a much greater influence than what we currently give them credit for.

I'd say that's a good bet. The early producers may not have had the sort of sales experience and team to move enough marbles to grow profits. If Albright and Gropper had the retail contacts, they would be the ones with the better understanding of market conditions and preferences. They probably fed that info back to the producers who likely responded in some way.

I agree with Gropper, Albright not so much in my opinion unless you are talking clay marbles. They were huge in clays but small resellers with glass m,arbles

I imagine that during the evolution of the marble market and industry, a lot of the same folks who sold clay marbles retail probably started selling glass marbles. Putting clays in with glass might have been Albright's way of transitioning and still moving clay stock.

While I can't say with absolute certainty, the Peltier records do strongly suggest that Sellers Peltier approached Gropper for advise and suggestions on the prospect of making marbles in 1924, as opposed to Gropper first approaching Peltier. Gropper recommended the hiring of Arnold Fiedler as their marble making foreman and teacher.

I'd read about Fiedler being plant manager . . . Still, that doesn't make him "head of the company".

I agree. And I think it's exactly that kind of leap (plant manager to head of the company to owner of the company) in the telling that, over the years, produced some of the marble myths we're stil ldealing with today.

I think plant manager is probably a reasonable assumption, though (although as far as I know it IS just an assumption), since when Henry Hellmers was hired at Akro (essentially replacing Fiedler) he was hired as "plant manager," in his own words.

It is my understanding that the owners of CAC actually had little to do with their marble making venture so it is possible the "plant Manager" was "head of the company" because someone had to????? I will stick with "Plant Manager" in my future discussions as head of the company is too open a comment.