Do It Yourself Marble Calendar

Steph

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These pictures are labeled with AZ ... which might mean AuctionZip.

No National visible in the available pictures but it's interesting. And now I see a G. Now I don't know what to think. "Later" Rainbos in a Gropper box? ??? But whatever this box means, the National Bloodies box still seems right.

post-279-0-36080200-1397881342_thumb.jpg post-279-0-39637500-1397881351_thumb.jpg

Hansel keep showing those boxes and I am finding it less and less odd. I definitely think that Gropper box is a backfill or do I now have to believe they were making Rainbos in 30-31????? Hansel already has be all twisted up with the Primas, please take it easy on me with this Rainbo National Line deal, my brain is breaking(LOL)

Hansel keep showing those boxes and I am finding it less and less odd. I definitely think that Gropper box is a backfill or do I now have to believe they were making Rainbos in 30-31????? Hansel already has be all twisted up with the Primas, please take it easy on me with this Rainbo National Line deal, my brain is breaking(LOL)

Time to mess with Galen's head a little bit.

I bought this before most knew about CA Bloodies, and no-one had yet described that electric orange marble.

somecaboxes004_zps0e8411fc.jpg

somecaboxes005_zps2c05f07e.jpg

So maybe those non-bloodies somehow accidentally found their way into a bloodies box.

Then a couple years later, this shows up:

somecaboxes001_zpsc18567ed.jpg

somecaboxes002_zpsb2dcdf48.jpg

What do you think, Galen?

(other than there's too much light reflection in the pics)

Freaking Fantastic!!! I think you need to keep showing those boxes!!!!! I bought another roll of duct tape to keep my skull together after you keep blowing my head apart!!!!!!!

OK, now that you have a fresh roll of duct tape,

Here's a 00 CA "slag" box. (Nothing real special, other than I bought it from Bud Braunlich, after he pointed out to me it still retained its row of yellow 'slags' - many of these boxes had had their yellow 'slags' replaced and sold separately, since at the time they alone were worth as much as the rest of the box.)

somecaboxes006_zps3d823242.jpg

Note Gropper was the "sole distributer" of CA marbles.

somecaboxes007_zpse3df2a43.jpg

somecaboxes008_zpsd4862374.jpg

But then you see an Albright box, also 00,

somecaboxes011_zps60a62e0a.jpg

somecaboxes013_zps51c09c90.jpg

somecaboxes014_zps14dca836.jpg

somecaboxes017_zpsb2e78354.jpg

Also made in Cambridge, Ohio.

Funny thing, the Albright marbles are bigger than the Gropper marbles.

Albright box is 6 1/4" square vs. 5 3/4" for the Gropper, and the marbles are, in general, 15mm vs 14 mm diameter.

If Gropper was the "sole distributer" of CA marbles, I wonder if Gropper had anything to do with starting up CAC? Alternatively, could Gropper have left Peltier because CAC gave them a better deal?

And were the Albright glass marbles made by CAC? If so, how could that be, as Gropper was the "sole distributer" of CA marbles.

Christensen Agate 00 marbles are a different size from Albright 00 marbles. Was there a second glass marble factory in Cambridge?

If i understand correctly,there are no bloodies in the world's best bloodies box (post 432),but what kind of marble type is it,does it has a name,they look like transparant swirls?

Does anyone have a close-up pic- of it?

All the players in CAC are fairly well known from public record. I do not believe Gropper was ever part of the ownership, or had much to do with anything other than distribution for CAC. And I also believe Gropper was only involved with CAC for a few years of their existence. And if I remember correctly from what I read it was Sellers that got rid of Gropper. I also think it is more of a labeling issue than there being two factories producing the exact same marbles in different sizes

All the players in CAC are fairly well known from public record. I do not believe Gropper was ever part of the ownership, or had much to do with anything other than distribution for CAC. And I also believe Gropper was only involved with CAC for a few years of their existence. And if I remember correctly from what I read it was Sellers that got rid of Gropper. I also think it is more of a labeling issue than there being two factories producing the exact same marbles in different sizes

Where is this "public record"?

All the information in AMMM about CAC is either unreferenced or attributed to hearsay via Dennis Webb. (Other than patent #s for Jenkin's marble machines registered before and after Jenkins was at CAC.) Baumann's book is no better.

AMMM does mention that Gropper claimed to be "sole distributor(sic)" of CAC marbles, but simply dismisses that claim because Albright packaged and sold CAC marbles.

I don't think Gropper was necessarily part of the ownership, just as they probably convinced Peltier Glass to start making marbles without owning part of the Peltier Glass Co., but they must have cut some kind of a deal with CAC to be able to make the claim of "sole distributer".

Some of the marbles found in that Albright "professional" box of 'slags' are not found in any CAC or Gropper box.

If i understand correctly,there are no bloodies in the world's best bloodies box (post 432),but what kind of marble type is it,does it has a name,they look like transparant swirls?

Does anyone have a close-up pic- of it?

Winnie, you probably shouldn't read too much into this subject. I'm just messing with Galen's duct-taped head.

Post #432 first shows a partially filled box containing a few of what most collectors recognize as a Christensen Agate bloodie mixed in with that transparent orange swirl (a fairly special marble to CAC collectors). The next box is filled completely with those transparent orange swirls, but is factory labeled "World's Best Bloodies".

You can call those marbles anything you want, but for probably no more than a brief time, the Christensen Agate Company may have called those transparent orange swirls, bloodies.

Those boxes have made my head hurt too. But I like it.

Wasn't there a thing about CAC employees destroying all the records when CAC went out of business? Or is that a myth too?

Struggling with the row of transparent orange swirls in the same box as a row of blue laces . . . I may start weeping . . .

Did not notice any marbles in the Albright box that could not be attributed to CAC but I do see many that I would have to say could not have been made any where else IMO. But there were two factories. Payne and Cambridge each in production for 3 years if I remember correctly.I have always wondered if the classic handgathered opaques I own in classic CAC colors were from the Payne address

The Christensen Agate Company was founded by W.F. Jones, H.H. Culper, Owen M. Roderick, Robert C. Ryder, and Beaulah P. Hartman. However, the two individuals who made the company's marbles as distinctive as they are were the aforementioned glass chemist Arnold Fiedler, who later became the head of the company, and Howard M. Jenkins, who was president of Christensen Agate and also manufactured and patented its marble-making machinery. This patent was obtained in 1924; however, there is little that can be said about the first marbles produced by this machinery while operating in the factory's original location in Payne

From Alans site. The public record is the owners and the officers,

This was just a side venture for most of the owners who had other major investments, Also public record. If you want to dig a little their corporate offices were in Akron.

more_9s_and_tails.JPG

"Did not notice any marbles in the Albright box that could not be attributed to CAC but I do see many that I would have to say could not have been made any where else IMO."

Can you explain why there is no mention of CAC on that Albright box?

".....glass chemist Arnold Fiedler, who later became the head of the company....."

Is this true? Wonder where Marble Alan got that from?

I can, for the same reason many other boxes and bags do not mention the marbles manufacturer. They do not say manufactured by Albright. they say Albright marbles which to me means they purchased and resold not distributed for CAC. Which also explains why their labels are sometimes found glued on CAC boxes. with Christensen blacked out.

As for the Feidler comment. He was listed as plant manager on one old printed piece of paper I read. Maybe Allen read the same item?