Marbles In A Test Question And

Steph

Are they marbles mixed up, or layered? Are they all the same size? Are the girls blind folded? Do they "select" marbles, as the question states, or get random handfulls? Because maybe Pamela only likes green.... are they playing for "keepsies"?

Grade school flash-back!

This is how I failed math. I obfiscate by focusing on the test writer's wording, and ignore the actual question.

But this time, to show that I have matured a tiny bit, if it is a random grab, I go with Pamela.

Anyone else having grade school flash-backs?

MarbleBuddy

I think Pamela would be more likely. Fatima would have to grab handfuls of all four being green to be MORE than 75%, but Pamela could have 8, 9, or 10 green marbles in her handfuls to be more than 75%.

I thought Fatima because I figured that with 10 marbles the draws would be more likely to hover around the average.

I figured it would be easier to get an extreme draw when you only had to pull 4 marbles than when you had to pull 10.

Now Mike is making me doubt my answer.

I don't think I have enough game marbles around to check. I think I could set up the formulas to compute the probability but it's been a loooong time.

It would be good for me though, right?

If they were coin flips so that you had a 50-50 chance of heads on each flip, then I think it would be a 6.25% chance of getting 4 heads out of 4 flips versus a 5.47% chance of getting 8 or 9 or 10 heads out of 10 flips.

With 4 flips, there are 16 possibilities, so the 1 with 4 heads would have a 1/16 chance of happening.

If there were 10 flips, then there are 1024 possibilities. There are 45 ways to get 8 heads, 10 ways to get 9 heads, and 1 way to get 10 heads, giving a 56/1024 chance of 8, 9 or 10.

I think.