Slags / Transitionals

godown

The call them that but they really are not since they were rounded by hand. The ground pontils are not actually Transitionals either as they are a hand made marble. Long ago any marble that showed signs of hand gathering got called a Transitional. It is going to be real hard to get it to end. Transitionals should be hand gathered machine rounded marbles IMO

Digging the pictures posted guys some nice mibs

Hi Darla love those 2 marbles and i saw them in the other threads the first one i would say in not a transitional but a handmade, the reason i say that is the pontil is still intact it hasn't been altered at the end of the marble making process which basically tells me it wasn't rounded mechanically it also does not exhibit any wear so the pontil is as clearly visible as the day it was made

The term transitional comes from the marble being hand gathered cut with scissors drop into machine rollers to be rounded part handmade part machine Transitional

Handmades were cut from a long length of " Cane " the cut piece attached to a rod and the marble rounded in a cup no machine hence all hand made

Also Edit Or hand gathered as slag types

the second marble is a little more tricky but i'm still of the opinion its a handmade as it gives the impression of a pontil and not a shear mark

Here below is a pic of a genuine handmade pontil i know this is genuine as like all my collection i found this marble this particular marble was under a house it had rolled between the floor boards and the back door sill and dropped down under the house onto the dirt below were it waited for probably at least a hundred years for me to come along with oodles of enthusiasm armed with sheer determination a dust mask and a little weed rake squeezing into an under house crawl space that tight a 90 kilo man has no business being there :rolleyes:

Any way back to the topic at hand

P2020009_zpsqjur615u.jpg

as the picture shows the pontil on this guy shows the circle like yours created when the rod attached to the now rounded marble was snapped off

The marble below doesn't show a pontil but a cut line in the first picture were the marble was cut of the rod with scissors

P1310004_zpstsi8lixr.jpg

P1300005_zpsrcc93c47.jpg

P1300003_zpsqwjybamy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...