Nivison-Weiskopf Marbles

Akro Agate Co. v. Master Marble Co., 1937

7. That the defense of prior use embodied in the machine known on the record as the Miller-Nivison-Weiskopf machine has been established as required by law; that said machine was built by one W.J. Miller at Swissvale, Pa.; that such machine (shown in Defendants' Exhibit Y) was constructed in 1919 and 1920; was sold and delivered in March, 1920, to the Nivison-Weiskopf Company, of Cincinnati, Ohio; that said machine was put to use by said purchaser in 1921; and that between February 19, 1921, and January, 1924 (as shown by Defendants' Exhibit Z), said purchaser and user of said *316316 machine manufactured on it, and sold, 854,940 marbles in 1921, 474,842 marbles in 1922, and 1,374,075 marbles in 1923, some of such marbles being in evidence as Defendants' Exhibit AA; and that said Miller took out a patent, No. 1,601,699,4 filed December 12, 1924 (Figure 6), which shows this machine and its offset adjustment.

Wonder what "Defendants' Exhibit AA" looked like.

Marbles produced: 2,703,857.

Wonder what these looked like.

Sincerely,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

This page says, "The NIVISON-WEISKOPF COMPANY: Cincinnati, Ohio, formerly a glass bottle manufacturer and printer of labels between the 1900s and 1980s."

http://www.jdcollectorspage.com/RealOldBottles1.html

That makes me wonder if they were basic clear marbles. Like for codd bottles or lithography balls for printing.

That defendants do not produce in their flow-tank "streams" composed of clear and of different colored glasses; but defendants only produce bodies of clear and colored glasses, irregularly mixed and constituting gobs of the old style, or prior art gobs, in form or character; and defendants' marbles do not have the colored glass on the inside only, within the clear glass, but defendants' marbles have the colored glass on the outside and scattered all through the clear glass, irregularly.

• 4 years later...

Here is the Nivison-Weiskopf machine - WJ Miller company catalog says machine is hand fed by a "gatherer". In the pic you can see the WJ Miller shear. Nivison_Weiskopf was a clear glass container manufacturer and a major lithography printer. My best guess is litho balls....

1696060466_Untitled-1copy.thumb.jpg.646bad25e2b2a06952dc5916753a3107.jpg

National Glass Budget Miller shear ad 1915.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had to look up what it meant to grain plates.  Is this it?  "Graining is the practice of imitating wood grain on a non-wood surface in order to increase that surface's aesthetic appeal."    ("Graining" is one of those words I've seen over and over and have even used in a sentence when describing industrial uses of marbles and then finally after years I wake up and realize I don't know what it is.)

8 hours ago, Steph said:

Had to look up what it meant to grain plates.  Is this it?  "Graining is the practice of imitating wood grain on a non-wood surface in order to increase that surface's aesthetic appeal."    ("Graining" is one of those words I've seen over and over and have even used in a sentence when describing industrial uses of marbles and then finally after years I wake up and realize I don't know what it is.)

No, mechanical graining of plates is different. Graining is to provide a uniform rough surface for ink to adhere. A smooth plate would allow the surface tension of the ink to "ball up" like a bead of water on a leaf. The rough surface allows the ink to wet the surface and lay evenly.

https://www.polymetaal.nl/beguin/mapg/graining.htm

John