Am I Getting Closer To Marble Country?

I am moving from Southern California to NW Montana in a month or so and was wondering whether my chances were increasing for finding scores in the wild. It's a wasteland here in SoCal aside from the annual show, but I did not find anything in MT on my last visit.

I'd be about 3.5 hours east of Spokane, WA, but only 25 miles or so south of Canada. If anything maybe I could score some of those Canadian transitionals. ;)

I guess I may be striking out in MT as well. When I last visited up there I met a 10-yo boy who is a trapper by trade (no joke!) but he had recently started collecting marbles. I sent him a filled show-off tray with a complete ID guide. I consider it an investment in building the next generation of collectors.

• 2 months later...

I moved to MT a week ago. The window in my office, which looks out on our back yard, is perfect for lighting up my agates. I am thinking of making some sort of cat-eye mobile to hang from the window, maybe inside two plates of circular glass?

It is stunningly beautiful here, and no doubt will also be stunningly cold to this Southern California native. Our back yard would be a small park where I am from. White tail deer and even beaver sneak in to steal apples.

I already have a lead for two coffee cans full of pre-1950s marbles, so fingers crossed!

post-1926-0-86315700-1445618769_thumb.jp

post-1926-0-59372200-1445618779_thumb.jp

I see two options for you.

1. Ask each antique store you go into if they know of anyone in the area that collects marbles. If they do contact them and start negotiating.

2. Save your money and go to the Seattle show or any other show close by. By March you may be ready to head south to the Kansas City Show.

Roy

Saw my first wild Montana marbles...included a 3/4" "christmas tree" ribbon lutz (nm minus), a neon aqua melon ball, a few latticino swirls, and some wet mint benningtons, then a lot of common 50s-60s mibs in so-so shape. Nothing heart-stopping. Owners weren't selling yet because they wanted to pick their favorites for sentimental reasons but it is nice to see old mibs. Fingers crossed as when I do get to pick through them they're bringing more next time.