Marble Marble

Ric

I found this quite a few years ago. When I first picked it up I was thinking crockery - but no, it's stone (~ 1 1/4"). The colors are great. Some of them are similar to those found in variegated clay Jaspers (white, blue, green, pink), but there are also black, gray, brown and yellow tones (the dark brown in the upper right shot looks like a stain). Overall, it's pretty round, but there are quite a few "flat" spots on it (a wobbly roller). Does anyone have experience with these types or similar to show? It's quite a bit more colorful than the Blood Allies and other marble marbles I have seen. Any info or thoughts will be appreciated. Cheers!

Ric565sm_zpsnx2ol2bt.jpg

Not a thought in my head.

I know there should be more out there, but I think they must get overlooked. For instance, I've grown so accustomed to seeing mineral spheres that were never intended to be marbles that I tend to disregard them when I see them.

Think I may have been too hasty.

Boy, with that one you sure can see where the variegated clay ones come from, can't you? And the lined crockery ones.

I better start paying more attention . . .

Boy, with that one you sure can see where the variegated clay ones come from, can't you? And the lined crockery ones.

The resemblance to some clay and crockery marbles is remarkable, which is why I laid hands on it in the first place.

I pulled it from a large case of stoneware marbles. I remember it was filthy. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I was - might have been Amana. Could it be an archetypal marble marble? I do not recall this many colors on the few I have had in hand.

Here is some detail. It even has a little sparkle in it.

Ric565b_zps7xnubjds.jpg

Ric565a_zpsqzu2hmu2.jpg

Ric565c_zpsjnuout1k.jpg

Steph, I am confident this is natural stone - no color added. And I am pretty sure it was not made on a modern sphere machine. Hopefully, someone with knowledge of minerals and old stone marbles will chime in. Can you think of anyone who might be able to help?

• 2 weeks later...