Christensen Marble Cut Lines?

n2marbles

I just got a large 7/8 marble and noticed it didn't have any cut lines. It's a very nice 3 color mostly blue but no cut lines. It has a small football shape but not really noticeable with out calipers. At one time looking at it I felt Galen peering over my shoulder whispering Bulgaria. Do crissys have to have a cut line? I can't take a pic now but will later Steve

The opaque swirls don't necessarily have what we would call cut lines -- especially the flames. Some of the transparent swirls -- like the Snottie -- don't have them either.

But if you find a "Guinea" without a cutline . . . RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!

Hi Steve, until recently I was believing Christensen guineas, striped opaques and transparents have to have a cutline. Only swirls would not have any. Couple months ago I was visiting an old friend and was looking his exceptional collection and found a high end Guinea that is a perfect match to two I have in my collection. This marble had no cut lines. I looked carefully with a loupe to see if it was polished and it wasn't. It had only some minor wrinkles at a small area. The examples in my collection both have a single cutline. My conclusion is, which may be totally wrong, some early Christensen agates might not show any cutline whatsoever. Very rarely seen and might mean hand gathered some sort. FWIW

Sami

. . . Very rarely seen and might mean hand gathered some sort. FWIW

Guineas being hand-gathered, marvered, cut, and rounded by machine has been a very interesting topic on here before . . . maybe Steph can locate the thread.