Am I anywhere near Master ing this id business?

ManofKent

1 hour ago, Steph said:

(The Asian ones tend to have Master-like cutlines so then it becomes a matter of recognizing colors and textures.)

Thanks - I'll try and get better photos tomorrow (off to bed), The colours looked good for Master, the size is fine but it's a broadish gather at the top - not a tight V.

More photos. Further thoughts appreciated!

masterish.jpg

masterish1.jpg

masterish2.jpg

Obviously the cat hair was included for scaling purposes and is nothing to do with having a helpful cat wonder why I was ignoring him and deliberately sit in the way...

It's bias talking now, but I picture the prettier ones as being older.  Maybe 60's.  

That's a shot in the dark for me.  I can't swear  they're not making any like them now ... I just am not aware of it. 

Winnie may actually have enough clues to piece together a decent record of their evolution.  

As to "where", I picture Japan first for the machine-mades ... starting back in the 20's or 30's.  Then in the 50's I know that Hong Kong joined in.  Then I go to Taiwan.  And then China proper.  

Me also think Japan was first for the machine-made marbles,such as:transitionals--mushroom type's and fig8,round about the 20's and 30's.

I think these Sunburst type have been made later in the 50's or 60's,India is also a possibility,but it's guesswork.

Thanks both.

Steph - that's pretty much the timeline I was thinking of.

Winnie - Thanks - the sunburst type are some of the nicest Asian marbles I've seen. I hadn't considered India, but I know nothing of Indian production.