ID books

Are there any ID books that group by style or type e.g. Slags, ribbons, patches etc. rather than company?

I'm not looking for a price guide, so if there's something that's out of print but accurate in identification that would be useful.

5 minutes ago, Steph said:

I don't think so.

It would seem a good idea to me - sometimes I pick up a marble and I think that's probably a Pelt and can then go to the Peltier section of a book and web sites, but other times I'm completely in the dark.

It would be good to be able to at least narrow down options.

May be I'm just impatient with my learning, but I don't want to be constantly relying on people's good nature in the id thread. 

It's good to hear your perspective.  What you're struggling over. 

I sorta wanna say, "We can start a patch thread and a ribbon thread".

But then my brain explodes a little because of the trouble I'd have sorting some of the marbles into patches or ribbons.  

When you have a few months under your belt, while it's still fresh, you can make notes with pictures about what you think would be helpful for a new person trying to sort things out the first time.  Eh?

18 minutes ago, Steph said:

When you have a few months under your belt, while it's still fresh, you can make notes with pictures about what you think would be helpful for a new person trying to sort things out the first time.  Eh?

Sounds good. I've only been doing this for around a month and I know I'm getting better (and learning what still confuses the experienced). I was a keen birdwatcher in my teens and remember that after a while you could tell what some birds were by a combination of little signs that you only semi-consciously took in.

From a newbie who feels the same as far as constantly asking for help and feeling like a pain in somebody's butt. 

It would be nice if someone would write a book with good pictures explaining surface textures. Under a glass old handmades compared to newer. And it seems to me there is a difference between makers. Roll marks etc. It's obvious temperature played a big part in the surface finish. Some appear that the rolls were much smoother than others. Some have a texture that looks like the rolls were rusty and pitted. 

Just my observation. 

1 minute ago, Greatmacscott said:

check out marblekeeper.com. Rich Maxwell wrote a book which was intended for beginners to ID marbles by types and not company. No prices, just thoughts about marbles from a fairly new collector.

Thanks I'll give it a go.

20 hours ago, Steph said:

. . .  I know I should get it myself, but if you beat me to it, give us a review. 

It's very, very, very basic.  Very.  Basic.