Just because there beautiful

I was thinking this morning while looking over a jar of marbles and sipping coffee.

That when I collected marbles for only there beauty and not for there rarity or monitory value. It has gotten completed and something about it seems different now.

2016-06-15 06.30.22.jpg

Nice. It's a mindfulness thing.  Collect what you like/like what you collect.  The monetary aspect is a bit troubling to me sometimes...and the equation value=interest is unfortunate, especially when also interested in history and what some would consider boring, brown or simply colored or more common marbles. As my father, a great collector of things was fond of saying "it isn't worth anything until you have cash in hand" seems about right.   

Thank you for sharing.

That's why I always like to hear from "newbies"  to remind me of how it felt to enjoy marbles just because they were pretty little things before I learned all the dry identification and history.  

40 minutes ago, ManofKent said:

I'm trying to avoid being swayed by rarity, but I freely confess the unusual does have it's appeal...

I'm driven quite a bit by novelty and rarity too. But I pay attention to common types too and some I like for some reason...informs my sense of how rare a marble might be.   Interestingly, rarity seems a second cousin (frequently) to market forces in the world of collectibles over here.

I like that too . . .

My basis is still "is it a pretty marble?" although I occasionally digress to get something of historical interest, to me if to no one else.  Or to get a type I feel I should have, even if I don't find it to be particularly beautiful.  And I'm lucky enough to have a very few rare ones -- not all of which are beautiful.  But in general, the "buy what you like" philosophy has held up pretty well for me over the years . . .