Back in the U.K

Nope no markings or slips. As you can see there was a sticker at one time, and there was something written in the top in what looks to be pencil, but it unreadable. I tried to darken it with a bit of spit and that helped a little, but still can't make it out. As soon as I figure out why my photo editing program is not working I'll take some pics and see if I can doctor it a little, that may help. They have been in the box for some time I assume because the ones on the edges near the rusty staples have rust stains on them. None have an orange peel surface and all are mint with only a few with as made internal fractures.

3 hours ago, orbboy said:

Nope no markings or slips. As you can see there was a sticker at one time, and there was something written in the top in what looks to be pencil, but it unreadable. I tried to darken it with a bit of spit and that helped a little, but still can't make it out. As soon as I figure out why my photo editing program is not working I'll take some pics and see if I can doctor it a little, that may help. They have been in the box for some time I assume because the ones on the edges near the rusty staples have rust stains on them. None have an orange peel surface and all are mint with only a few with as made internal fractures.

I wish I knew where in France these were made. Some groups I've picked up have orange-peel others don't. I've no idea whether there were multiple factories or just quality control varied. Lovely marbles either way.

I can't subscribe to these being made in France since I have only seen these in German packages before (someone must have a pic?). I sold Roger a bag about 15 years ago but the pic is long gone. The term "Made In"  was used pretty liberally back in the day. I have Solitaire sets marked made in Great Britain with German handmades. I have other Sol sets made by H.P Gibson & sons Ltd with Wirepulls marked "Made in England"  Another example of a Solitaire set marked "British Manufacture" with (Made in England) in brackets with silver foil clay marbles in it.  Another set by Glevum Games marked Made in England with Figure 8's in it. ect ect... 

Gonna have to be a ridged stubborn oldtimer and stick with this type as being made in Germany. I am flexible and if more definitive concrete proof is found that these were made in France comes along I have no problem changing my opinion. At the moment though "Made In" pretty much means Jack Diddley to me in most cases.

6 hours ago, orbboy said:

I can't subscribe to these being made in France since I have only seen these in German packages before (someone must have a pic?). I sold Roger a bag about 15 years ago but the pic is long gone. The term "Made In"  was used pretty liberally back in the day. I have Solitaire sets marked made in Great Britain with German handmades. I have other Sol sets made by H.P Gibson & sons Ltd with Wirepulls marked "Made in England"  Another example of a Solitaire set marked "British Manufacture" with (Made in England) in brackets with silver foil clay marbles in it.  Another set by Clevum Games marked Made in England with Figure 8's in it. ect ect... 

Gonna have to be a ridged stubborn oldtimer and stick with this type as being made in Germany. I am flexible and if more definitive concrete proof is found that these were made in France comes along I have no problem changing my opinion. At the moment though "Made In" pretty much means Jack Diddley to me in most cases.

With solitaire sets the 'Made in' generally refers to where the board was made. 

Box of French Sparklers:

sunnyvale.jpg

This style of marbles frequently show up as part of French auction lots but very rarely in German lots. Winnie, has found the same thing in the wild.

All mibs in the box are + - a hair or 3/4" Box is 6x4x3 and weighs 1.91 kg Did the rub thingy but it is to shallow. Got the editor working and blew up a pic. I can see the top word is either Dales or Bales but the bottom word is ?? 

box-top.jpg